Washing Dry Yeast....!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
I know, i know. This is VERY blasphemous. But why? If there was a previous discussion on this can somebody direct me to it. I would think that it would be recommended to pitch some washed dry yeast instead of pitching on a cake because of time issues. Would it also be a good idea to keep the yeast as "clean" as possible by straining the wort before going into the primary?

Thanks

It's not blasphemous. As the price of dry yeast increases, I am sure more people will chose to do it.

Biermuncher does it, I do it on occasion as well, use the normal yeast washing instructions.

With Nottingham temporarilly in short supply, washing Notty's not a bad idea.

Everyone here seems to love Nottingham...I've yet to use it...what do you typically make with it?

Everyone here seems to love Nottingham...I've yet to use it...what do you typically make with it?

I pretty much save it for higher gravity Ales that I don't want the yeast impressing itself on. Like my "Tennenbaum" recipe, it was 1.095, finished in about 2 days to 1.022 (with a 154 mash and lots of unfermentables) with one packet of Nottingham sprinkled on top.

Back