Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Want to brew in garage but no water supply. Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #21
shildebr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
didnt realise it was that far. I would use bottled water for the brew and a recirculation for The chiller
Thanks springer, I like the recirculation idea. I wish I could hose it from the kitchen, its just a lot of hose if I really don't need it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #22
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

OK, actually springer, the hose might work. I think maybe I only have to get 3 of them. A little bit of cost, but would really save me the hassle. Here's my floorplan.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by shildebr View Post
I don't want to get into a whole discussion about the layout of my apartment, but seriously, water from the sink, or the washing machine, or the dishwasher, or the shower, or the toilet will not work. I appreciate the posts pointing out to me other sources of water within my apartment, but, as stated in the OP, it won't work.
Not to criticize, but they're just trying to find suggestions, just as you asked. If you don't want to ask your landlord, and you don't want to use a faucet inside the house, then you're pretty much stuck either carrying down the stairs, or buying bottled water. Likewise, to chill, you're pretty much "stuck" with recirculating ice water with a pump - which ISN'T such a bad thing to be stuck with, since I see you're in Texas. You may have found, with a hose, that you would've had to revert to recirculating ice water anyways. Just a thought.

Have you looked at your area's water report? Maybe bottled water would help your brews anyways? (Just trying to rationalize it.)

I get what you're after. I have to carry mine ~40 feet indoors to the porch. I have to stretch my hoses ~55 feet outdoors for the chiller. I want water hookups real, real bad. But I don't know plumbing worth poo, so until then, I keep making do.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #24
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Not to criticize, but they're just trying to find suggestions, just as you asked. If you don't want to ask your landlord, and you don't want to use a faucet inside the house, then you're pretty much stuck either carrying down the stairs, or buying bottled water. Likewise, to chill, you're pretty much "stuck" with recirculating ice water with a pump - which ISN'T such a bad thing to be stuck with, since I see you're in Texas. You may have found, with a hose, that you would've had to revert to recirculating ice water anyways. Just a thought.

Have you looked at your area's water report? Maybe bottled water would help your brews anyways? (Just trying to rationalize it.)

I get what you're after. I have to carry mine ~40 feet indoors to the porch. I have to stretch my hoses ~55 feet outdoors for the chiller. I want water hookups real, real bad. But I don't know plumbing worth poo, so until then, I keep making do.
I guess I shouldn't post while I'm at work. I was having a $hitty day. I know they were trying to give suggestions, I just get annoyed when the suggestions that are given are the ones that I specifically mentioned would not be an option.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #25
Chip
Recipes 

Take an old cooler and fill it with water. Make some big ice blocks a day ot two before brewing and add them to the cooler water the night before so it gets good and cold.

Use a fish tank or other cheap pump to circulate the water through your chiller and then dump the whole thing out in the driveway when you are through.

The idea of looking for a valve around the yard sure makes sense. You just know there are clean out, connections, controls and other parts of hte sprinkler section that would allow you to easily connect up a hose.

Primary - Orfy's Mild Ale
Secondary - Hard Cider
Bottled - my version of a simple English Mild

Old 07-19-2008, 04:33 PM   #26
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Take an old cooler and fill it with water. Make some big ice blocks a day ot two before brewing and add them to the cooler water the night before so it gets good and cold.

Use a fish tank or other cheap pump to circulate the water through your chiller and then dump the whole thing out in the driveway when you are through.

The idea of looking for a valve around the yard sure makes sense. You just know there are clean out, connections, controls and other parts of hte sprinkler section that would allow you to easily connect up a hose.
I did find a hose spigot, but its got some kind of locked cover on it. Its made of plastic though, it'd be a shame if some "kids" broke the cover off some night.

Quick Reply