The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Want to brew in garage but no water supply. Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you get a $10 RV potable water hose you can use your garage hose bib for brewing water. Sure beats carrying.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
springer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shildebr View Post
I bought a 1/2 bbl keg, I'm all ready to convert it to a keggle, I've got my eye on a propane burner at cabella's. And so I'm ready to give my electric stovetop a rest and move the brewery to the garage. The only problem..... no water supply.

I live in an apartment where the living area is above the garage, so hosing from the sink is out. Also, the lawn is on an automatic sprinkler so there are no outside faucets, so thats out too. I have no problem lugging my old 30 qt kettle down from the kitchen for strike/sparge water, but how am I going to cool the wort?

Do you think I could siphon ice water through an immersion chiller?

Has anybody dealt with this problem, or does anyone have any suggestions?
Why is a hose from the kitchen out? I use this

12.95 at Lowes I buy a new every few years for my camper but just bought one so I dont have to lug water to the garage. They sell adapters to use a garden hose on your faucet and just toss the hose out a window . I also use the RV carbon inline filter thats used with my camper .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Why is a hose from the kitchen out? I use this

12.95 at Lowes I buy a new every few years for my camper but just bought one so I dont have to lug water to the garage. They sell adapters to use a garden hose on your faucet and just toss the hose out a window . I also use the RV carbon inline filter thats used with my camper .
Sure, I'll just have to buy 6 or 7 of them.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #14
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sorry, shildebr, but when you say you live right over the garage, it doesn't sound like that far of a drop. But 150 feet is a lot for hose and it's frickin heavy! I say try EdWort's recirculating pump idea. He made his for about $45. http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=38235
The march pumps are expensive because they're food grade and meant to handle hot liquid. A pond pump doesn't need to if it's just pumping water through the IC.

Instead of dumping the hot water back into the big plastic bucket, I'd run it off to another one at first and use that hot water for clean up, then

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 07-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Question (Idiot alert)

What is the difference internally between a potable water hose and a regular garden hose?

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 07-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could get a spigot splitter and attach it to the connection for your washing machine. You stated you have a laundry room. That could work with the potable hose.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 07-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #17
Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I certainly hope your garage is well ventilated while you use the propane burner in there.
As far as lack of running water near the brewing area, I have a similar issue... I just lug the hot water from my stove to the mash tun outside, each time I need it. Then when the wort is done boiling, I lift the entire pot and carry it to my kitchen to use the wort chiller attached to my kitchen faucet. Yeah, it's risky, but you gotta do what you gotta do to brew.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #18
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBrit View Post
Question (Idiot alert)

What is the difference internally between a potable water hose and a regular garden hose?
Potable water hose will be made with food safe plastics. Garden hoses can have lead in them because they are not intended for drinking water.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-18-2008, 03:41 PM   #19
springer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shildebr View Post
Sure, I'll just have to buy 6 or 7 of them.
didnt realise it was that far. I would use bottled water for the brew and a recirculation for The chiller

Old 07-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #20
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't want to get into a whole discussion about the layout of my apartment, but seriously, water from the sink, or the washing machine, or the dishwasher, or the shower, or the toilet will not work. I appreciate the posts pointing out to me other sources of water within my apartment, but, as stated in the OP, it won't work.

However, to those of you with useful information. Thank you!!

Quick Reply