Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Want to brew in garage but no water supply. Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
shildebr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Want to brew in garage but no water supply. Suggestions?

I bought a 1/2 bbl keg, I'm all ready to convert it to a keggle, I've got my eye on a propane burner at cabella's. And so I'm ready to give my electric stovetop a rest and move the brewery to the garage. The only problem..... no water supply.

I live in an apartment where the living area is above the garage, so hosing from the sink is out. Also, the lawn is on an automatic sprinkler so there are no outside faucets, so thats out too. I have no problem lugging my old 30 qt kettle down from the kitchen for strike/sparge water, but how am I going to cool the wort?

Do you think I could siphon ice water through an immersion chiller?

Has anybody dealt with this problem, or does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I measure my water in a bottling bucket and lug it up the stairs from the basement to the garage. I have to do this for each infusion which is kind of annoying, but it works.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well my first thought is throwing a hose out a window near the sink to fill with then use for cooling later. Otherwise you may be able to get icewater in your bottling bucket, hang that up on a ladder and run it through your cooling loop, but I have not tried that myself.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

well if plumbing a new connection is out of the question then using a bucket/garbage can with cold/ice water with a circulator pump hooked to your wort chiller is a possibility.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4634 Times on 4315 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Lugging water is a PITA, IMO.

I am actually really surprised that there isn't a hose bib. Sometimes in apartment buildings they are behind a access door that can be opened with a pair of needlenose pliers and may need a hydtant key (available at lowes) to open the valve. Look for rectangular, galvanized little doors (about 4x6).

Beyond that, you might talk to the maintenance man about having a valve installed on the water in line to you water tank. Check the apartment policy restrictions regarding grills before you approach maintenance tho'. They might not appreciate an open flame in the garage and may not be willing to facilitate the practice.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
well if plumbing a new connection is out of the question then using a bucket/garbage can with cold/ice water with a circulator pump hooked to your wort chiller is a possibility.
Do you think I would get enough flow just siphoning? I'm just guessing I get the water moving at 5 ft/second. With a 3/8" immersion chiller, thats about 1.72 gallons/minute. So with a 7 gallon tank, that gives me 4 minutes, plenty of time to send jack and jill up the hill to fetch an ale pail of ice water.

Last edited by shildebr; 07-17-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Beyond that, you might talk to the maintenance man about having a valve installed on the water in line to you water tank.
Water tank is in laundry room, upstairs. Oh, and not sure what policy is on grills in garage, but I do it all the time so shouldn't be a problem.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Im sure you could siphon the the water through the the chiller but you should be able to get a small fountain pump cheap that will do what you need and save water and effort. the pump doesnt need to be food grade and doesnt need to handle high temps or put out a lot of pressure.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
shildebr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
Im sure you could siphon the the water through the the chiller but you should be able to get a small fountain pump cheap that will do what you need and save water and effort. the pump doesnt need to be food grade and doesnt need to handle high temps or put out a lot of pressure.
That's true, usually when I think of pumps related to brewing I think expensive. But I bet I could get one pretty cheap.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a spigot in my garage, but I'm not going to run water from a garden hose for brewing beer. Fortunatley my kitchen is right inside of the door goingt form the garage to the house. I run water back and forth from the kitchen sink, but it's only 35 feet or so, so it's tolerable.

Quick Reply