New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Waiting for wort to cool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
signal2noise
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Waiting for wort to cool

Folks,

With the warm weather, house water, and using both a pre-and plate-chiller, I cannot get my wort south of 82F.

Is there any harm in airlocking it and putting it in the chest freeze/ferment chamber and waiting for it to get to 65-70 before aerating and pitching yeast?

Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nope, people do that for lagers all the time.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
signal2noise
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick response JonK331.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Becareful that the shizz in the lock doesn't get sucked into the wort along with all the bugs that are in your freezer, due to contraction of the liquid as it cools. The longer the wait in the cooling to pitching process. The more the chance of bugs. The family meatpop freezer/"chamber" isn't the best device to use to cool wort to pitching temp.. Since you have chillers and so on. Use ice water as the coolant if possible.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I use an IC and submersible pump/ice water recirc. My summertime city water temps average around 76˚F. It takes about 10 minutes to get my wort down from boiling to ~100˚F with this water directly into the IC due to the large temperature differential between boiling wort and even relatively high temp tap water. At that point the temperature differential is not great enough for chilling any further in a reasonable amount of time.

Now the objective is to create another large temperature differential. Disconnect the city water from the IC and go into ice water recirc mode with the submersible pump in a 5 gallon bucket filled with tap water and store bought crushed ice. The pump discharges the ice water into the IC and the return water goes back into the ice water bucket. This an efficient use of the ice, as the return water temp is no so high as to obliterate the ice as it recirculates. I use about two 5lb bags of ice, topped off with city water. I'm able to go the rest of the way from ~100˚F to lager pitching temps (~55˚F) if I want in about another 5-7 minutes with this method.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
berebrando
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I chill my beer as far as i can with an IC (usually about 80 to 100) then I rack my wort to carboys and chill in the chest freezer overnight. I put on the airlock and have learned how much liquid to use to avoid the dreaded suckback. Dial it in and you will not have infection problems.

I have used this method to chill my beers for almost a year and have produced award winning beers.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I always get tired of wasting water for my recirculated immersion chiller to get from 80-the 65 (even though I don't pay for it, lol) I consistently pitch at 80*, and through it into the fermentation chamber to cool to the 60~ temperature I want.

What started out as pure laziness, became a ritual. I notice much faster starts of fermentations, and by the time anything REALLY crazy starts, the beer is within temperature of what I am shooting for.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
I use an IC and submersible pump/ice water recirc. My summertime city water temps average around 76˚F. It takes about 10 minutes to get my wort down from boiling to ~100˚F with this water directly into the IC due to the large temperature differential between boiling wort and even relatively high temp tap water. At that point the temperature differential is not great enough for chilling any further in a reasonable amount of time.

Now the objective is to create another large temperature differential. Disconnect the city water from the IC and go into ice water recirc mode with the submersible pump in a 5 gallon bucket filled with tap water and store bought crushed ice. The pump discharges the ice water into the IC and the return water goes back into the ice water bucket. This an efficient use of the ice, as the return water temp is no so high as to obliterate the ice as it recirculates. I use about two 5lb bags of ice, topped off with city water. I'm able to go the rest of the way from ~100˚F to lager pitching temps (~55˚F) if I want in about another 5-7 minutes with this method.
How powerful is your pump? I'm looking at doing this myself and am leaning towards a 250gph pump. Stepping up to 350gph wouldn't cost me too much more and would probably be a good idea since I'll be pushing water through 15ft of RV hose, plus the IC and the garden hose attached to the IC output.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 06-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
I always get tired of wasting water for my recirculated immersion chiller to get from 80-the 65 (even though I don't pay for it, lol) I consistently pitch at 80*, and through it into the fermentation chamber to cool to the 60~ temperature I want.

What started out as pure laziness, became a ritual. I notice much faster starts of fermentations, and by the time anything REALLY crazy starts, the beer is within temperature of what I am shooting for.
This is what I've been doing as well my last couple of batches. IC to around 80F, pitch, put it in the chamber to bring it down to fermentation temps. Seams to work well.

Chris

Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
How powerful is your pump? I'm looking at doing this myself and am leaning towards a 250gph pump. Stepping up to 350gph wouldn't cost me too much more and would probably be a good idea since I'll be pushing water through 15ft of RV hose, plus the IC and the garden hose attached to the IC output.
Here is the link to the Flotec Submersible Pump that I bought from Home Depot. It's 1/6 hp and capable of flowing 930 gpm at 10' of head. It's probably overkill for this application, but it's what Home Depot had on hand when I first conceived of cooling this way. It has served me well for several years now, and I've used it for many other tasks around the house, like emptying kiddie pools and such.

Quick Reply