Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wacky fermentation, stuck!?, when to move to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #11
gallagherman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew
Edit- how does it taste? I mean, you did drink your hydrometer sample, didn't you?
it didn't taste as fruity (pineapples?) as it smelled, but it was kinda dry and astringent - i think "astringent" is the right word.

Next: Dead Guy Clone, Weißbier

Fermenting: The Riley

Kegged: Dry Stout, RyePA

My Blog! www.beerunion.net

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagherman
it didn't taste as fruity (pineapples?) as it smelled, but it was kinda dry and astringent - i think "astringent" is the right word.
It sounds like you did well. That is pretty good attenuation for that yeast -- I doubt it will ferment any more. Regardless, I would keep the beer on the yeast in the fermenter for another week or so to clean up a bit, and then you can rack it to a secondary to clear it and age it for a while, if you like.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:46 AM   #13
gallagherman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

tasted it again, now friday, and took a gravity. It really smells fruity, kinda disappointed, but it tastes alright, not so fruity. The reading today was 1.014, and i think that is final. I just read that ester formation can increase during the time in the secondary does anyone else agree with this? I was hoping that by leaving the beer in the secondary for some time the estery aroma would settle out a bit.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:52 AM   #14
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Leave in the primary another 3-5 days. They yeast will clean up after themselves and help.

I'd plan on 2 weeks in the secondary. I think a lot of what you're tasting now is going to clear out. I pitch at 75 degrees all the time.

It's when you get above the 80 degree range that a lot of things start to happen.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 AM   #15
gallagherman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Leave in the primary another 3-5 days. They yeast will clean up after themselves and help.

I'd plan on 2 weeks in the secondary. I think a lot of what you're tasting now is going to clear out. I pitch at 75 degrees all the time.

It's when you get above the 80 degree range that a lot of things start to happen.
I pitched at 70, but then the room was 70 degrees as well, so the metabolic activity of the yeast brought the beer up far past that.

I really hope it settles out. Like I said, I don't taste it as much as I smell it. I am almost positive the fermentor never got above 80 degrees. The highest I saw was 77 and that's when I said to myself "whoops" and tried to cool it down into the sixties as fast as I could.

Quick Reply