BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Visible Flocculation in Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #1
clayof2day
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Visible Flocculation in Secondary?

Hi All,

This is my third batch and first using a secondary. I am brewing with my starter kit and a newly accquired secondary, thus my primary has been the good old plastic bucket and I haven't really been able to see a lot of the fermentation processes. I racked to my secondary after five days in the primary (no visible airlock activity and gravity close to final, still expecting small drop) I know as sugars are converted to CO2 and alcohol, the yeast will flocculate at the surface and settle out. My question is, is this flocculation visible at the surface? I have something at the surface that I'm worried is bacteria (I had a lot of trouble getting the siphoning going and ended up using the mouth technique). So my question is, is there a chance that this is flocculating yeast, or is it more likely that this batch is contaminated?

Matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
Shambolic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I first used a secondary, I thought I had an infection as well. Is the visible 'stuff' in the form of little clumps of white material. If so, it could just be bubbles!! Give the fermenter a gentle swirl, and see if they disperse like bubbles.

It's amazing how much innocent bubbles can look like mould or some-such.

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Lobrau Amber Ale (Mk. II)
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...
Quantum Pale Ale (Mk. II)

Old 01-03-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayof2day
Hi All,

This is my third batch and first using a secondary. I am brewing with my starter kit and a newly accquired secondary, thus my primary has been the good old plastic bucket and I haven't really been able to see a lot of the fermentation processes. I racked to my secondary after five days in the primary (no visible airlock activity and gravity close to final, still expecting small drop) I know as sugars are converted to CO2 and alcohol, the yeast will flocculate at the surface and settle out. My question is, is this flocculation visible at the surface? I have something at the surface that I'm worried is bacteria (I had a lot of trouble getting the siphoning going and ended up using the mouth technique). So my question is, is there a chance that this is flocculating yeast, or is it more likely that this batch is contaminated?

Matt
I have the same thing happen to me when i use the safbrew s-33 yeast. Flocculation is seen on the surface of the beer as little white pactches, kinda like a lily pond. This is perfectly normal with some yeasts. If you sanitize everything like you were supposed to, and it taste like beer and not vinegar or anything funky then its the yeast flocculating.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 52 Posts

I've had the same thing happen in the secondary with different white labs strains, all with fine results. If it's not green and fuzzy, and tastes fine, you're ok.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply