Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Vanilla Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
timm747
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Vanilla Stout

I'm going to brew an Oatmeal Stout and I'm going to go the vanilla bean route. I've been reading tons of posts about when to add the bean and whether to soak it in vodka/bourbon before using it. Many of the posts suggested adding to the secondary.

However I've taken your suggestions on not using a secondary and I just primary for a month and then go to the keg.

Should I add it to the keg sort of like a dry hop? Or should I add the bean(s) to the boil or to the primary?

I'm planning on slicing the bean and scraping it as many have suggested.

Thanks!

Tim

Fermenting American IPA AG 7-9-11

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For anything you want to add as a secondary it is still perfectly fine to transfer to a secondary vessel not using one in beers where you don't need that is what most of the advice claims. I personally wouldn't put the beans in a keg, but would use a carboy or other container for it, but either way won't hurt. I wouldn't put it in the boil as it is likely to drive off some of the flavor oils and compounds.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Jadisan
Recipes 

I am doing an oatmeal stout for my very first solo brew. I tossed a bean in the boil and kept it in the primary and haven't noticed any flavour in my hydro samples.
I have a couple more soaking in vodka and I plan on doing a secondary with them, vodka and all. Thought about just adding the booze while bottling but I wasn't sure how much complex vanilla would come out that way.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
MaltnHops
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've added vanilla beans to the fermenter, after the primary has settled down (about 7-10 days in). You can leave your beer on the yeast cake for up to a month to allow the vanilla to settle in.

I would not suggest using anymore than 3 whole beans, maximum! I made a spiced vanilla porter once with 3 beans, cinnamon, and nutmeg before. It took about a year until it was tasty. The more you throw in, the longer it takes for the flavors to blend together.

Bottled: Udder Nonsense Milk Stout, Off Your Rocker Cider
Keg #1: Udder Nonsense Milk Stout
Keg #2: Explosive IPA
Keg #3: Explosive IPA
Keg #4: Nothing
Fermenting: Nothing
Next On Deck: Maibock?
Brewed in 2012: 65 gallons
Brewed in 2013: 55 gallons
Brewed in 2014: 25 gallons

Quick Reply