Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Vanilla extract to bean ratio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
snyklez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Vanilla extract to bean ratio

Morning everyone! Quick question that I can't seem to find an answer for on the site or the googles. I'm brewing a Bad Santa this Sunday which calls for one vanilla bean. I'd rather use pure extract as I have it on hand and I've heard bean oils can impact head retention. So...anyone know a conversion from bean to extract? I'm thinking just 2 tsp, but wanted to see if anyone out there knows for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
snyklez
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Anyone substituted vanilla extract for a bean? How much did you use?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
tv187u
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In the Vanilla porter recipe that is big here (don't have a link at the moment) it calls for two beans cut length wise. I used 1 oz of pure extract. A brew mate used beans and they were almost spot on. The beans were ever so slightly stronger.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

There's just not enough oil in the bean to affect your head retention, and when you soak vanilla beans in alcohol to make extract you're dissolving the oil in the extract as well (that's where the vanilla flavor is), but I would add your extract at bottling. Pull a sample of a known volume and add vanilla dropwise until you have the flavor you want. Then scale up appropriately.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply