Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Vanilla beans question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Timmyg316
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

depending on the brew bitter isnt necessarily a bad thing either (its why we add hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypirate23 View Post
Hey guys heres just random throw outs from a chef....longer time you soak vanila beans they will become bitter. The most flavor extraction of vanila should not be more than 72 hours. I hope my little tid bit of information helps future brewers...also remember if your using ingriedents like pecans they also have a point where extraction will turn better.

Cheers
I love chefs and I love cooking. I absolutely appreciate the crossover of skills and knowledge between brewing and cooking. I have applied knowledge of one to the other frequently.

In this case I'm wondering if the use of vanilla beans and their extraction might be something that is more applicable to pastries and desserts where you absolutely wouldn't want bitterness. We already have a ton of bitterness in our beers that may be masking any bitterness that is accidentally extracted from the vanilla bean.

I have friends who brewed a Vanilla Pecan Barley Wine this past year and the beer sat in secondary on the vanilla bean for the full year. No bitterness. At all.

I'm just wondering if there is a difference in the texts or teaching for chefs regarding vanilla bean versus what might work or is in practice for brewers.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
dirtypirate23
Recipes 

Pcollins:

You have an excellent point. The post i made was reffering to theory and what I have expierenced in a restaurant and bar atmosphere when steeping our own liquors. The best part about cooking (and brewing) is there is not one single way to do somethng, neither is a way right or wrong. There our also major variables that come into play when chosing certain ingredients such as quality of beans, the ammount of liquor or substance you are going to soak them in to extract the most flavor, using of extracts, quality of the extracts. I live in Tx and i brewed a beer expirementing with mexican vanila. I already new that there vanila beans soaked appropriatly so i added to secondary fermantation and it worked out great. Basicly the sad truth about vanila in beer is trial and error and taking notes. Remeber your grains (if you brew all grain) and your hops are also a deciding factor. I'm glad your buddys beer turned out well for him

Cheers

Quick Reply