Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Vanilla beans question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Iceman6409
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Vanilla beans question

Hey everyone. I am about to try an all grain recipe that calls for 2 oz. vanilla extract and I would like to use the vanilla beans to make the extract. Having never done this before I already know how to cut them and put them in vodka and all that. My questions is the recipe calls for 2oz extract. I would assume I would soak the beans in 2 ox or a little more of vodka. How many beans would I put in there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
ahaley
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409
Hey everyone. I am about to try an all grain recipe that calls for 2 oz. vanilla extract and I would like to use the vanilla beans to make the extract. Having never done this before I already know how to cut them and put them in vodka and all that. My questions is the recipe calls for 2oz extract. I would assume I would soak the beans in 2 ox or a little more of vodka. How many beans would I put in there?
Don't quote me on this, but I've been told 2-3 is decent vanilla flavor, and 4-6 is "over powering" and as the oz of vodka, I'm not sure if the amount matters or if its just make sure the beans are all covered? Good luck! I used vanilla beans in one of my last brews and when they weren't gushers it was superb. 2 vanilla beans and 1 or 2 shots of Jim bean.
Also someone told me that longer time beans are in secondary=higher chances for off flavors?

South Paw all day, every day.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3283 Times on 2046 Posts
Likes Given: 2802

1 bean for 2 ounces extract.

This will give you the FDA minimum for single-fold extract, which is what you buy at the store. You can buy double fold, etc, with more vanilla per ounce. In fact, I'd double that since your extraction won't be as good as the companies that do this for money.

Math available upon request.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I've used one bean in a 5 gallon batch and been happy with the results. I scrape and cut the bean and let soak in an ounce or two of Scotch. Adds a nice flavour to the beer and detectable mostly at the end of the sip.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #5
TzeentchPlayer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

What do you guys think about using amaretto instead of scotch for soaking a vanilla bean? I'd like to do this for my pumpkin ale I brewed last Friday. I'm too cheap to go out and buy some scotch, but I have a whole bottle of amaretto lying around from a housewarming party me and swmbo had a few months ago.

You think you have an infection? See what they really look like here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Timmyg316
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This may be a bit off topic, but I hate you all for this fabulous idea. I really want to try it now (except use rum). Any good vanilla recipes?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
dirtypirate23
Recipes 

Hey guys heres just random throw outs from a chef....longer time you soak vanila beans they will become bitter. The most flavor extraction of vanila should not be more than 72 hours. I hope my little tid bit of information helps future brewers...also remember if your using ingriedents like pecans they also have a point where extraction will turn better.

Cheers

Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3283 Times on 2046 Posts
Likes Given: 2802

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypirate23 View Post
Hey guys heres just random throw outs from a chef....longer time you soak vanila beans they will become bitter. The most flavor extraction of vanila should not be more than 72 hours. I hope my little tid bit of information helps future brewers...also remember if your using ingriedents like pecans they also have a point where extraction will turn better.

Cheers
That''s good to hear since I soaked mine for exactly that long. But, then I dumped the whole shebang into my fermentor. So, it's actually still sitting in alcohol, right?

Can you point to a reference that says that somewhere? Is this something that you've experienced yourself?

Old 10-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I always thought tasty mcdoles method was very good. Make your extract, pull a known volume of beer before packaging and add drops to the glass until it tastes right to you. Scale up the drops total to your final volume and add to bottling bucket/keg.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
dirtypirate23
Recipes 

I've actually read it in a book called The Science of the Kitchen. That is a general rule for most vinalla beans...(i've also learned by trial and error steping different ingredients in liquor) If you have the real good vanilla beans ( i e madagascar) they are very potent and you shouldn't have too much trouble with them. As far as throwing in the whole shebang, it would be interesting to see if it turns bitter...in theory if you removed the beans themselves you should be golden.

Cheers

Quick Reply