Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using yeast other than recommended...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Mike-H
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Using yeast other than recommended...

So, I have been saving my yeast from various batches in order to save $7.00 on liquid y east. If I use a different yeast, say "White Labs Irish Ale" yeast instead of California Ale V will I have bad results? The beer i'm going to make is arrogant bastart or an IPA.

Is there a guide to yeast strains and how they taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-H
So, I have been saving my yeast from various batches in order to save $7.00 on liquid y east. If I use a different yeast, say "White Labs Irish Ale" yeast instead of California Ale V will I have bad results? The beer i'm going to make is arrogant bastart or an IPA.

Is there a guide to yeast strains and how they taste?
I've noticed that, to a certain extent, the characteristics that strains give to the beer are intensely subtle. Many of what I consider to be middle-of-the-road ale yeast strains, they don't vary that much from strain to strain. Where I've noticed the most difference is with hefe/wheat/wit yeasts, and with belgian abbey strains.

As for "screwing up" a beer, that's very hard to do just by subbing yeast strains. The only conceivable way I could think you'd screw it up is if you were going for a very specific style, like Bavarian Hefeweizen, and you used a spicy belgian abbey strain, etc. Especially if you were entering it in a competition. But even if you were to make such a crazy substitution, it would still be great beer (all other things being equal), as I'm sure that not too many people are sitting around their bar at home worrying about the stylistic inequities of a batch as compared to the BJCP guidelines.

In your case, USE THE FREAKIN' YEAST, baby! An Irish Ale strain will be great for an IPA or Arrogant Bastard clone.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Mike-H

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reassurance. That is exactly what I figured.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I would go to White Labs' site and compare the key characteristics of the two strains, make sure that the attenuation of one isn't dramatically different than the other for example. I've been tending to stick with dry yeast anyway, as I just want something clean, simple, cheap, and effective.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Other than attenuation, in an IPA it would be very difficult to notice the difference between these two yeasts. The Irish might have problems if you push the ABV too high.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #6
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I've been tending to stick with dry yeast anyway, as I just want something clean, simple, cheap, and effective.
Nottingham, my friend . . . . Nottingham.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Yup. Nottingham and Safale-56. Haven't failed me yet!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply