*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using yeast from another batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
gio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using yeast from another batch

So I've had a belgian dubbel in a secondary for about 4 weeks now. The flavor is not bad but it does not have the fruity esters that I was hoping for. A friend of mine suggested tossing some fruit in. I figured why not, so I split the batch up into two 3 gallon carboys and added dried currants and plums to one and dried balaton cherries to the other.

I figured I would have to ferment again since the sugar in the fruit could cause bottle bombs if I was still there when I bottled. The problem is that the dubbel has been cold conditioning at about 44 degrees for 4 weeks now and I was worried the yeast was no longer viable. (I used Wyeast 1214, the chimay yeast). I didn't want to spend another 8 bucks and a pack of yeast and didn't know when I'd make it to the LHBS and then I had an idea. I saw I had a belgian quad fermenting with a nice big krausen on it and so I used a turkey baster, sucked some of it and added it to my dubbel. It's Wyeast 3787, the westmalle yeast so it's not the same strain but I figured it was maybe close enough. Do you think this will work? I wasn't sure how much krausen to suck up. I probably only got about 1/2 cup or so for each carboy.

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 620

I would think that if you raised the temp into the mid 70s and gave a swirl, that the original yeast strain should wake up. Sorta like bottle conditioning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply