Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using wood in the boil kettle.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
kabob34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using wood in the boil kettle.

Hey guys,

This is the first thread I have started, but I have been surfing these forums for about a year and a half. So hello everybody!

Anyways, I am from New England and I have always loved the taste of birch beer. I love the flavor profile and I think it would be very interesting to have in a beer. With that being said, I have some black birch hanging around and the will to make this happen. I am considering throwing this into an oatmeal stout or maybe even a pale ale, where the flavor would be showcased in full force.

I was wondering what the best technique is to achieve this flavor? Aging, or adding the wood to the boil kettle? Birch beer is usually made by boiling the twigs and bark, so why wouldn't that work? I have read about using birch syrup but from what I have read it doesn't seem to achieve the flavor I am looking for. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I personally have never used woods, but I'm pretty sure you are supposed to dice it up and put in the secondary, not in the boil.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Birch beer is made by distilling the sap from the tree, and then putting the resulting oil into the drink. What if you get food grade oil and put it into the kettle/secondary/bottle? Not sure what the oil would do in the fermentor but birch oil is heavier than water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_beer
http://www.kutztownbottlingworks.com...torebirch.html

Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
BeerChef17
Recipes 

my vote would be to break the wood up into small pieces and add to the secondary. The oil is a good idea as well although the wiki page says "Alcoholic birch beer, in which the birch sap is fermented rather than reduced to an oil, has been known in the region from at least the mid-nineteenth century." I think by just using the oil it wouldn't be consumed by the yeast.

But I think the best flavor would come from fresh birch wood that was still running sap

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Bonanza Weizen, Coffee Stout, Flying Dog IPA Clone, Momma K's Kream Ale

Next up: Smokey the Bear Honey Porter

Planning: Godzilla IIPA (Citrillo IIPA)

Old 10-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
a_potter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My dad has been talking about a similar sap idea of replacing some of the water in a porter recipe with maple sap. You might save this idea till spring and tap some birch trees instead.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
rdr0912
Recipes 

I know this is an old post, but just wondering if you (or anyone) has tried using birch in brewing? I spoke with my local supply store about this and they suggested adding the wood to either the primary or secondary, NOT during the boil. Since they have never heard of using birch, they couldn't answer my next questions...use dried chips or fresh, living chipe and branches from a tree??
Thanks

Quick Reply