Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using two different yeasts in the same wort liquid & dry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
miatawnt2b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using two different yeasts in the same wort liquid & dry

I found a Stella recipe I want to try, and it calls for 50% wlp029 kolsch and 50% german lager yeast that my brew store was out of. They did have a dry packet which I bought instead.

http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=3584

So, should I make 2 seperate starters and pitch both at the same time, or make a starter for the liquid and pitch the dry on top of the wort?

The recipe says nothing about when to add the two yeasts, so I am assuming that they both go in at the same time.

-J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hmm... That's an interesting recipe. I had always heard that if you combine 2 yeasts, that the stronger strain will just dominate and the other will basically contribute nothing to the finished product. Judging by the author's comment at the end of the recipe, he says you can notice contributions from both yeasts. Who knew?

As for when to add, I would assume they go simultaneously as well - if not, one is sure to overpower the other.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I'd make a starter for the liquid, otherwise the dry is likely to dominate (since you start with more viable cells in a pack of dry yeast than in a vial of liquid).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
radamadar
Recipes 

Interesting... just did a wheat beer with W1272 and W3056. Not a real expert, but can taste a blend of both. Any information out there on yeast 'aggression' and compatability of strains from a simultaneous pitch / medium on approximately equal counts?

Old 07-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You could also ferment half with one yeast and the other half with the second yeast. Combine in the bottling bucket and you will be sure to have even contribution from both strains.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
King of Cascade
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkinSurfer View Post
You could also ferment half with one yeast and the other half with the second yeast. Combine in the bottling bucket and you will be sure to have even contribution from both strains.
^
This

Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
spareparts
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just checked with one of my yeast labs, they work with alot with saccharomyces for genetics and bio fuel research. They said to just make sure that you have high cell counts of each. One strain could multiply once every 1.5 hours while another could do it at 2 hours. So to avoid one over powering the other you want a good staters built up. Beyond that the outcome would just depend on each stains metabolic rate at fermentation temp.

Quick Reply