Using a Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockybitz

Reaction score
I guess I don't quite understand this? Do you just use the main kettle with your wort in it to do your boil? What kind of longevity do you get from a Bayou brand fryer?

Some use the kettle that comes with it, some use something else. I've been using my kettle for about 4 years now.

My preboil volumes tend to be about 6.5 gallons boiled down to 5 so the 7.5 gallon fryer kettle has worked fine for me.

As to longevity, I don't get what you mean, are you asking how many boils from one tank of propane you get, or how long til the bayoo brand rusts and falls apart? I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

I've had my turkey fryer for 8 years & the aluminum pot (only used for turkeys) just finally got a pinhole in the bottom. For brewing I use the same burner and a keggle, I can't see the stainless ever getting a pinhole in it or ever needing replaced.

I use a converted 15.5 gallon keggle. Works great and I get better beer doing full boil instead of making concentrate.

I've only brewed a few batches over several years, but after I got my turkey fryer, things definitely changes for the better (for me). I currently use the kettle that came with the fryer, though one of them developed a few small holes in the bottom because I (stupidly) left the remnants of making cider sit around in it for too long (months). That, coupled with the thin walls, gave me small holes - unfortunately for a vessel who's purpose is to contain liquid, even a tiny hole is a problem.

One day I'll get a new kettle (be it a DIY venture or purchase I don't know) but the burner itself is worth the price - especially if you can wait a few weeks. They always seem to go on sale after Thanksgiving.

Also - it was definitely worth while to have a second kettle, for non-brewing. Being able to throw some oil in it and make a big batch of fries, onion rings, deep fried candy bars (don't ask) was totally worth it.

I was regarding the pot that is in the fryer for the longevity. So I assume that the main component that is used is just the burner from the turkey fryer? I guess I never realized that the top was able to be removed so that you could put your own kettle on top.

It's jsut a burner on a stand with a regulator to screw onto a propane tank. You could buy a burner and a stand separately I guess, but for the price, getting all of it in one shot is cost-effective if you are only doing 5 gallon batches.

I was regarding the pot that is in the fryer for the longevity. So I assume that the main component that is used is just the burner from the turkey fryer? I guess I never realized that the top was able to be removed so that you could put your own kettle on top.

It depends on the burner.

You really do NOT want the burner style that has the kettle sitting inside a ring/lip, because then you are stuck using a kettle that diameter or smaller.
That's the problem I had with my first turkey fryer from Menards...my 10gal kettle was too big to fit inside the ring, but not wide enough to sit on top of it.

Get one that's a flat/flush top, and the sky's the limit! Its kinda worth it to look for this style, like the KAB4 and KAB5 big burners, or the popular SQ10 and SQ14 models.

I got my replacement model from amazon.com for a good price and free shipping, if you can't find locally.

It depends on the burner.

You really do NOT want the burner style that has the kettle sitting inside a ring/lip, because then you are stuck using a kettle that diameter or smaller.
That's the problem I had with my first turkey fryer from Menards...my 10gal kettle was too big to fit inside the ring, but not wide enough to sit on top of it.

Get one that's a flat/flush top, and the sky's the limit! Its kinda worth it to look for this style, like the KAB4 and KAB5 big burners, or the popular SQ10 and SQ14 models.

I got my replacement model from amazon.com for a good price and free shipping, if you can't find locally.

I found this out when I got a keg. It was just right size to not fit inside, and not fit outside. My solution was to build a very simple 'L angle" adapter from some scrap steel.

Does anyone else think that it is interesting that right on the propane tank it says 'keep away from open flames', but then most gas lines from the tank to the burner are less than 3 feet away?

So I have that bass pro shop turkey fryer that was on sale for $40 and is rated at 58,000 btus. It has one of those guards that goes around to hold pot in place but I didn't bother putting that on. Will it be a bad idea to use a pot that is about 2 inches larger than the base of the fryer?

Does anyone else think that it is interesting that right on the propane tank it says 'keep away from open flames', but then most gas lines from the tank to the burner are less than 3 feet away?

Nah its just there to cover thier ass in case of a leak, you could turn the burner on and put the propane tank on top of it, and nothins gonna explode

So I have that bass pro shop turkey fryer that was on sale for $40 and is rated at 58,000 btus. It has one of those guards that goes around to hold pot in place but I didn't bother putting that on. Will it be a bad idea to use a pot that is about 2 inches larger than the base of the fryer?

You'll be fine unless it's a paper-thin pot.

Latest posts

Back