Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using a Turkey Fryer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
cockybitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Using a Turkey Fryer

I guess I don't quite understand this? Do you just use the main kettle with your wort in it to do your boil? What kind of longevity do you get from a Bayou brand fryer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Some use the kettle that comes with it, some use something else. I've been using my kettle for about 4 years now.

My preboil volumes tend to be about 6.5 gallons boiled down to 5 so the 7.5 gallon fryer kettle has worked fine for me.

As to longevity, I don't get what you mean, are you asking how many boils from one tank of propane you get, or how long til the bayoo brand rusts and falls apart? I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I've had my turkey fryer for 8 years & the aluminum pot (only used for turkeys) just finally got a pinhole in the bottom. For brewing I use the same burner and a keggle, I can't see the stainless ever getting a pinhole in it or ever needing replaced.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 11-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
dmbGator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a converted 15.5 gallon keggle. Works great and I get better beer doing full boil instead of making concentrate.

Upcoming:
Primary: Pale Ale
Secondary: Gint's Two Kidney Ale, Oktoberfest, Conway's Irish Ale Clone, Shiraz
Bottled: Apfelwein, Green Apple Reisling
Kegged:Phat Tyre

Old 11-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
tekknoschtev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've only brewed a few batches over several years, but after I got my turkey fryer, things definitely changes for the better (for me). I currently use the kettle that came with the fryer, though one of them developed a few small holes in the bottom because I (stupidly) left the remnants of making cider sit around in it for too long (months). That, coupled with the thin walls, gave me small holes - unfortunately for a vessel who's purpose is to contain liquid, even a tiny hole is a problem.

One day I'll get a new kettle (be it a DIY venture or purchase I don't know) but the burner itself is worth the price - especially if you can wait a few weeks. They always seem to go on sale after Thanksgiving.

Also - it was definitely worth while to have a second kettle, for non-brewing. Being able to throw some oil in it and make a big batch of fries, onion rings, deep fried candy bars (don't ask) was totally worth it.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
cockybitz
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I was regarding the pot that is in the fryer for the longevity. So I assume that the main component that is used is just the burner from the turkey fryer? I guess I never realized that the top was able to be removed so that you could put your own kettle on top.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2430 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

It's jsut a burner on a stand with a regulator to screw onto a propane tank. You could buy a burner and a stand separately I guess, but for the price, getting all of it in one shot is cost-effective if you are only doing 5 gallon batches.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybitz View Post
I was regarding the pot that is in the fryer for the longevity. So I assume that the main component that is used is just the burner from the turkey fryer? I guess I never realized that the top was able to be removed so that you could put your own kettle on top.
It depends on the burner.

You really do NOT want the burner style that has the kettle sitting inside a ring/lip, because then you are stuck using a kettle that diameter or smaller.
That's the problem I had with my first turkey fryer from Menards...my 10gal kettle was too big to fit inside the ring, but not wide enough to sit on top of it.

Get one that's a flat/flush top, and the sky's the limit! Its kinda worth it to look for this style, like the KAB4 and KAB5 big burners, or the popular SQ10 and SQ14 models.

I got my replacement model from amazon.com for a good price and free shipping, if you can't find locally.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2430 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
It depends on the burner.

You really do NOT want the burner style that has the kettle sitting inside a ring/lip, because then you are stuck using a kettle that diameter or smaller.
That's the problem I had with my first turkey fryer from Menards...my 10gal kettle was too big to fit inside the ring, but not wide enough to sit on top of it.

Get one that's a flat/flush top, and the sky's the limit! Its kinda worth it to look for this style, like the KAB4 and KAB5 big burners, or the popular SQ10 and SQ14 models.

I got my replacement model from amazon.com for a good price and free shipping, if you can't find locally.
I found this out when I got a keg. It was just right size to not fit inside, and not fit outside. My solution was to build a very simple 'L angle" adapter from some scrap steel.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Toasted678
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does anyone else think that it is interesting that right on the propane tank it says 'keep away from open flames', but then most gas lines from the tank to the burner are less than 3 feet away?

Quick Reply