Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using sugar to increase ABV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #11
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if any of you have ever had pete's wicked maple porter before they stopped making it. they used maple syrup in that and it was great. i plan on making a maple ale once i'm in texas. i'm leaving germany in about 3 months and won't have time for all the brewing i want to do because they won't ship my beer!! haha that sucks too!!!!! oh well

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #12
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I remember seeing a recipe that used maple sap as the hot liquor but I could never find a source of sap. I suppose you could simulate it with some maple syrup added after the boil.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #13
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Happy Birthday Orfy.
Thanks.

I gotta go pick the wife up at 9pm so I've allowed myself 1 12oz er till then.....and it sucked.

Old 10-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #14
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I would say your recipe is dark & robust enough to handle the sugar. Keep the temperature on the low side of the recommended range. I've used both brown sugar and molasses in ales. Last year, I did an English Old Ale that took 24 oz of dark molasses. Molasses is more expensive here than extract and it completely dominated the flavor. Most people though it was a malt note, but a few identified it correctly. Was much better at 2 months.

Old 10-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #15
Duvel
Recipes 

Thanks for your help David. I've bought a kilo of Muscovada light unrefined sugar which I plan to boil for an hour to invert. Quite inexpensive and I hope that will add something to it. Thanks everyone else for you help too, and lupus for that sugar link, very informative.

Quote:
Molasses is more expensive here than extract
Wow.. it's more expensive! I can get molasses for half nothing (granted it's agricultural molasses and I don't know whether I could use that but I reckon so). I'm paying the equivalent of about 13 USD per kilo of DME.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:28 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

agricultural molasses, hadn't thought of that. Lots of cows out here. All-molasses beer, bad idea though, I've had some. Sounds like your DME prices are about double ours, that would be a real motivator to go all grain.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 AM   #17
Duvel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
agricultural molasses, hadn't thought of that. Lots of cows out here. All-molasses beer, bad idea though, I've had some.
Yeah I wouldn't imagine, well unless that is you wanted to illicitly distill some lovely rum from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Sounds like your DME prices are about double ours, that would be a real motivator to go all grain.
If I could get that for much cheaper I would, but working it out with steeping efficiencies etc it seems I get more maltose for my money with the DME
That's buying off a homebrew store on the net. If I could just find a place that happens to sell it in bulk. I wonder where the brewerys get it. Must ask someone in the know...

Quick Reply