Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using pump to vorlauf.. couple questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
riored4v
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Using pump to vorlauf.. couple questions

Been thinking about changing my vorlauf process to incorporate my pump. Picture of my setup below to help visualize what I'm trying to explain. So I was thinking of running some high-heat hose down from the mash tun to the pump inlet (which is on the left of the pump) which would pump it through my ball-valve to regulate the flow. From there i'm not sure which way to go since I'm not sure if I should pump the wort through my plate chiller and risk getting husks in there or not. So i could add a quick-disconnect on the inlet to my plate chiller so i could remove the hose and have a seperate hose that i can attach to the hose coming out the ball-valve and then going back up to my cooler. From there, maybe run a X design so i will trickle back over the grain bed. OR if going through the plate chiller doesnt matter, I could just the hose from outlet of the chiller back up to the mash tun.

Idea for this is to eliminate having to use a pitcher to collect wort and vorlauf until it runs clear. Figure just pump it until I can see that it runs clear and somehow add a sight glass in the line for that.

Sorry for the ramble, but just trying to see which way might be best.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Buelltonbrian
Recipes 

Hi I do something like this but I run it through my herms coil. You could just go from your mash tun thru your pump and then just lay the hose back on top of your grain bed. Works like a charm.

Good luck

Brian

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buelltonbrian View Post
Hi I do something like this but I run it through my herms coil. You could just go from your mash tun thru your pump and then just lay the hose back on top of your grain bed. Works like a charm.

Good luck

Brian
Only issue with that right now is that its all hose clamped together, so I would need to add disconnect somewhere in there if I pulled it off before the chiller and/or ball-valve.

OR, run it through pump > ball-valve > chiller and then the hose to the top of the grain bed.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would not run it through a plate chiller... why risk plugging it up? Spend a few bucks and get some quick disconnects you like, then you can really open up your options for pumping liquids.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yea, i've decided against running it through the chiller. I'm going to pick up a 3-way ball valve and hook that up after the ball valve I use to regulate the flow. One direction on the valve will run up to the mash tun and then other direction will go to the plate chiller.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
quadmx08
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you don't like moving hoses around all the time you could use some valves and have a permanent hose.

How do you currently get your wort to the boil kettle?

EDIT: nevermind, if I would have looked at the picture I would have seen that its gravity fed.

Primary
Zombie Dust Clone, Little Zombie party gyle

Bottled
Hillbilly Wheat, 777 new albian clone, Drunken Troll American Barleywine

Quick Reply