Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using Oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Phunhog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Using Oxygen

Hi guys,
I just got a oxygen setup with a .5 micron airstone from AHS. I was a little bummed to find that the regulator has no liter flow marks. I know Jamil recommends flowing it 1L for 1 minute. Since I don't have a flow meter can anyone give some tips on how best to use it??? Thanks. Al

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

yeah, you crank it open ALL the way and count "1,001-1,002- etc." Or just look at a clock.

Unfortunately these regulators we use in brewing are pretty cheap, they really only work when they are cranked wide open. I just stick it in, turn it on and let it go, though I run 2 minutes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

They are cheap for sure. With mine if I crank it all the way I get too much foam so I dial it back a bit. It's so hit or miss that I tend to not use it very much anymore and try to stick with dry yeast so I can leave the Oxygen in the closet.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
They are cheap for sure. With mine if I crank it all the way I get too much foam so I dial it back a bit. It's so hit or miss that I tend to not use it very much anymore and try to stick with dry yeast so I can leave the Oxygen in the closet.
Well I am brewing with some S-05 I have laying around......does that mean I don't need to worry about oxygenating my wort??

Old 05-17-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I never add Oxygen with dry yeast. The wort splashes into the fermenter and that is it. The dry yeast is made to work well with just rehydration. If you pitch it dry they suggest aerating the wort, but I still don't bother with the stone & oxy tank.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always use O2, no matter what - dry, liquid, or repitch.

I just barely open the regulator until it starts to flow and then dial it back so it's just flowing. I let it go for about a minute or so, not very precisely timed. I like to end up with an good amount of bubbles all over the surface of the beer.

I don't know if I'd buy the O2 again, but now that I have the setup, it's a lot easier than pouring the wort back and forth a few times - no lifting!

Quick Reply