Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using Olive oil instead of Oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #171
Calder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
My goal here was to potentially find a way to produce rather large batches (10+ gallons) without a special aeration system. If I am convinced that the OO method works without having to go out of my way to aerate, then I will feel successful.
Based on this, I would suggest you don't take any special steps to preclude O2. Just brew and transfer as normal (no CO2), make starter as normal, and deliberately aerate one batch, and just add OO to the other.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #172
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Based on this, I would suggest you don't take any special steps to preclude O2. Just brew and transfer as normal (no CO2), make starter as normal, and deliberately aerate one batch, and just add OO to the other.
I agree with this. For most of us, the goal is to supplement insufficient aeration. So do one batch as normal and the other as normal plus a drop of OO in your starter. See if there is any noticeable difference.
Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #173
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

ohaipikachu

Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #174
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
I am of the opinion that just transferring wort into the fermenter can add more oxygen to the wort than desired for a split batch test. Because of this, I plan to add a blanket of C02 into the fermenter before the transfer (via my kegging system) and then run the transfer.

So, the goal is to make a 10 gallon batch of Hef with 5 gallons OO (as little Oxygen introduced as possible) and 5 gallons Oxygen (Manual shake since I don't have pure Oxygen).

One question though. If I am creating a starter for both of these, there is a significant amount of oxygen that will be added during this phase. Do you think this will affect the outcome of this test?
You cannot count on there being little O2 in the wort if you're transferring without a siphon. The co2 blanket in theory helps but in reality the time it takes to siphon 5 gallons would most likely introduce some O2. Unless you do it under pressure then you're going to introduce O2. The best way to reduce that is to siphon it.

You need less O2 if you introduce it in the starter stage. Some people don't even do it with the beer but rather at that stage. You need to direct pitch each batch to get more of an accurate experiment

Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #175
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post
- The last sentence of the conclusion of the original 2005 thesis.

Interesting comment, aaronbeach. It seems the original question was answered in 2005. Discounting the hysteria and nonsense what remains?

The salient question is “Is it worthwhile to supplement our starters with olive oil?”

For myself, the answer is “Why not?” I don’t think it’s possible for my yeast to be too healthy and happy.
In addition to this, the very small amount of OO you use will stick to the walls of the starter container

Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #176
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post
Really, Denny? If you find it too much trouble to pour a couple drops of olive oil, how do you ever get off the couch?
i think we all know Denny get's around. wyeast didn't give him his own strain because he was lazy

I believe he is referring to the preference of adopting the technique. he believes there isn't enough definitive evidence. Even though I don't have the same preference, I cannot discount him for it.

No need for a cheap shot.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #177
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Ryan View Post
ohaipikachu
You sneaky sonofabitch!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #178
agenthucky
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
I agree with this. For most of us, the goal is to supplement insufficient aeration. So do one batch as normal and the other as normal plus a drop of OO in your starter. See if there is any noticeable difference.

This is not what the original study was done for. It wasn't done for insufficient aeration, new Belgium obviously aerated their wort appropriately. the original study was done to see if beer could be brewed without the presence of O2, which when left over can reduce the lifespan of the beer

The question here is scientific, not preferential.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #179
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
You sneaky sonofabitch!
Hahaha. I see what you did there.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #180
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agenthucky View Post
This is not what the original study was done for. It wasn't done for insufficient aeration, new Belgium obviously aerated their wort appropriately. the original study was done to see if beer could be brewed without the presence of O2, which when left over can reduce the lifespan of the beer

The question here is scientific, not preferential.
Regardless of what the original studies were done for, this is what most people here are using it for. If you want results for zero aeration + OO vs oxygen, then just read the original study. Your answer is already in there. It works, but it's a bit slower and increases esters. Instead of repeating the original experiment, why not adapt this to your method and see if it helps or even makes a difference.

I wonder why no one seems to have done any tests that include adding ergosterol in addition to OO. The yeast also need O2 to make ergosterol for their cell walls. Adding OO is only going to give the yeast part of what they need. That could be part of the reason for the increased esters. Anyone know where to get their hands on some ergosterol?

Quick Reply