Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using Olive oil instead of Oxygen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #121
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 72

There's no harm. I've been messing around with this for a while and have come to the conclusion that the proper amount is so far below the threshold that would have negative affects that there is no downside. Try it on a recipe you make regularly and see what your results are. I look at it as an additional yeast nutrient that will help assure healthy yeast cells. I've stopped any aeration other than what happens from dumping my wort quickly into the fermentor and have had good results. I use the OO in my starters on a stir plate. I also have no way to quantify how helpful it is other than a good product.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #122
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've been using it on all my starters for the last year (just like the research paper says) and have had no ill effects. I put in a few drops, and most of the extra floats and gets poured off later.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #123
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

so what about putting a toothpick in the oil and then in the fermenter.. would that be enough

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #124
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
There's no harm. I've been messing around with this for a while and have come to the conclusion that the proper amount is so far below the threshold that would have negative affects that there is no downside. Try it on a recipe you make regularly and see what your results are. I look at it as an additional yeast nutrient that will help assure healthy yeast cells. I've stopped any aeration other than what happens from dumping my wort quickly into the fermentor and have had good results. I use the OO in my starters on a stir plate. I also have no way to quantify how helpful it is other than a good product.
Sure you do. Do a split batch. Use OO on one half and just pour the other half like you usually do. The do a blind triangle tasting. I bet I know what the results will be.....

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #125
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Sure you do. Do a split batch. Use OO on one half and just pour the other half like you usually do. The do a blind triangle tasting. I bet I know what the results will be.....
This would be the experiment to do, and one that wasn't actually done in Grady Hull's thesis.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #126
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Most likely, absolutely no difference. I've had good results with and without it. My point about not being able to test it is due to the fact that there is a lot of aeration going on during the transfer.
Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #127
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>Most likely, absolutely no difference. I've had good results with and without it. My point about not being able to test it is due to the fact that there is a lot of aeration going on during the transfer.

I don't think the aeration during the transfer is as much as you think. It may be 3PPM, not 8PPM.
If OO is as good as a minute of vigorous shaking/rocking the fermentation bucket/carboy, there probably isn't much advantage.

On the other hand, if OO helps augment the dissolved O2, it might be worth it.

I think a better test is - normal transfer + OO vs active shaking. Also, for higher gravity beers, does the OO help?

Old 10-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #128
mrwilson
Recipes 

I had been a fan of this for a while until my last two batches were contaminated by the olive oil. I now use a wine whip for aeration.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #129
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 544

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
This would be the experiment to do, and one that wasn't actually done in Grady Hull's thesis.
But it was done by a homebrewer on HBD.org. A guy I know have great confidence in his results.

http://hbd.org/discus/messages/43688/45581.html

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #130
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Denny do you happen to know the conditions on that experiment? All I could find is ‘OO vs 02'. How much oxygen? How much oil? Any incidental aeration? What kind of beer?

If they were going with the nonsense with the toothpick it would be way different than a couple of drops.

Also not sure what sort of flavor ‘clean’ is.

Quick Reply