Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > using hop shot for dry hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
muddypuddle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default using hop shot for dry hopping

supposedly the hop shots sold by northern brewer are derived from 13% aa columbus hops. i got 2x5 gal kegs of a beer that was supposed to be an ipa, but the yeast was mislabeled and i ended up with a more belgian/wit phenolic beer that has muted hop character. i used calypso and bravo hops in this beer.

anyone use hop shots to breathe life into a flailing beer? what was your protocol?

thanks for your time-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

Bumping this old thread. I would also like to know if you could use a hop shot for later additions or before kegging for flavor/aroma?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I play around with hop extract quite a bit, so I can probably lend some guidance here.

A. Hop extracts (aka hop shots) are typically CTZ. They aren't always though. Apollo, Bravo, Summit, and any number of the other Super-Alpha hops make their way into hop extract. CTZ has the most acreage, so it tends to be the most commonly used.

B. Yes, it definitely can be used for late additions. All the extract I've procured has smelled just like CTZ.

C. Theoretically, you could use it to breath some life into an old beer, but I think the problem would be from an operational sense. Hop extract is really thick, and does not like to dissolve in cold liquid. If you could find a way to get it to dissolve into cold beer/wort, ya, it would work fine.

D. They are starting to make all sorts of variety specific extract. Vinnie has mentioned that Blind Pig now uses Amarillo extract at the 30 min addition. I'm still kind of a purist in that sense. I'll continue to use pellets or leafs for flavor and aroma.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland
I play around with hop extract quite a bit, so I can probably lend some guidance here.

A. Hop extracts (aka hop shots) are typically CTZ. They aren't always though. Apollo, Bravo, Summit, and any number of the other Super-Alpha hops make their way into hop extract. CTZ has the most acreage, so it tends to be the most commonly used.

B. Yes, it definitely can be used for late additions. All the extract I've procured has smelled just like CTZ.

C. Theoretically, you could use it to breath some life into an old beer, but I think the problem would be from an operational sense. Hop extract is really thick, and does not like to dissolve in cold liquid. If you could find a way to get it to dissolve into cold beer/wort, ya, it would work fine.

D. They are starting to make all sorts of variety specific extract. Vinnie has mentioned that Blind Pig now uses Amarillo extract at the 30 min addition. I'm still kind of a purist in that sense. I'll continue to use pellets or leafs for flavor and aroma.
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if you could boil a cup of water, let it cool down to say 160, add some hop shot, let it sit for 15-30 min, then add to bottling bucket or keg before racking from fermenter? Kind a like a hop tea to replace dry hopping.

Quick Reply