The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using Grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
tipsymonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Grains

Yesterday I went off to the brew store to get me some new ingreedients for a new brew. Ended up with the ingreedients for a Down Town Brown clone. Brewed it up and its sitting in my primary fermentor right now doing its magic.

The thing is that I got the ingreedients, all grains, and it was the first time that I used [edit]powdered[edit] malt as well instead of the syrup stuff. I was wondering how people handle the grains. To be honest, I don't know the difference between parcial mash/full mash/

What i did as instructions from another brew store was the put the grains in a cheese cloth and seep them in a bot that had been heat up to about 150F and let them seep for about 45 mins.

Anyone else doing it this way? Am I missing something?

Last edited by tipsymonkey; 01-18-2005 at 07:51 PM. Reason: mispelling makes all the difference

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 AM   #2
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

What I'm guessing you're really doing is not a partial mash, but using grains as flavor adjuncts to an extract brew. That is, none of your grains are contributing fermentables to any large degree, but rather just flavor elements. I imagine you used something like crystal/caramel malt? That will contribute maltiness and an unfermentable sweetness. But it doesn't need to be mashed/sparged per se, so your approach is right on.

If your grain bill includes the likes of 2-row malt to contribute fermentables, then you really need to sparge it properly, which means making a mash tun. Then you might as well go all-grain entirely.

Why don't you post the recipe.

BTW, Downtown Brown is one of our local breweries. I love their IPA - Indica

Janx

Old 01-18-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i have made three batches with grain and malt extract, just like you have there. i basically throw the grains in a sack into cold water and slowly bring the temp up to about 155 and hold it there for 1/2 hour to forty five minutes then i let it drip dry and squeeze out what's left, just like a teabag.

i'm interested in going all grain asap, but think i need to get some more time/experience under my belt and do some more reading on grains etc.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quick Reply