The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using Gelatin for fining in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 AM   #1
gnets99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Using Gelatin for fining in secondary?

I read in one of my (many) homebrew books that using unflavored gelatin in the secondary is a pretty good way to help clarify beers. I have a question about how to use it...
My book says to stir a 1/2 tsp into a cup of cold water and let it sit for 30 minutes. It then says to slowly heat it to 180 degrees. However, after that it says nothing else!!! I realize it's only 1 cup of water, but I'm wondering if it's really a good idea to expose the beer and any leftover yeast to water at that temp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've got a batch getting ready to go into the secondary in a couple of days and would like to use something to clear it up a little.

Kegged: Dark Lord of the Stout, Blonde Bombshell
Bottles: Bad Shark Ale, Summer Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 03:18 AM   #2
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1 tsp gelatin dissolved in 1 C WARM water...DO NOT BOIL.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply