*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using fruit wine instead of fruit in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Using fruit wine instead of fruit in beer

I have a question. I didn't find an answer to this on several searches on and off the board. I have been trying to conceive a recipe for a fruit lambic off of a Flanders Brown base, although this question could pertain to several styles.

I was thinking that in the case of souring bacteria, you could end up with the beer sitting on the fruit for extended periods of time. Even though I know this is done, it makes me nervous. The only fruit beer I've ever done in the past had a taste a bit like spoiled fruit after a month of so on some Oregon fruit raspberry.

I was thinking of ways around this such as 100% pure juice or even wine. I sort of liked the wine idea as the product should already have a nice tart bite to it and be acclimated to alcohol. So has anyone ever done a lambic, or other fruit flavored beer, and added anything like a bottle or two of blackberry wine to account for the fruit?

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I dunno I have left my beer on fruit for a month, and on my last batch over 2 months and it was fine. In fact it won a gold medal.

But I think you have a good idea there. The only issue I can see is that maybe you won't get as strong of a fruit flavor that way unless you really go overboard with it.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah that was one of the things I was struggling with was how much wine would be required to infuse a good fruit flavor. After adding a certain amount it wouldn't really be beer anymore.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Quick Reply