Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using Fresh Fruit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
tator2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

My fruit ended up completely white, after transferring to a keg I also added 3 oz extract to calm the tartiness down a bit, and adds a little color.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I wonder if there is any benefit to macerating the fruit with sugar for a day (and then freezing it) before using it.

I imagine this would be better than simply tossing in fresh, sliced strawberries.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>So I'm trying my first "fruit flavored" summer beer. I made a nice pale ale and am planning on adding about 2# of fresh raspberries. I'm wondering if there is a common practice for adding fresh fruit to beer. I'm considering blanching them for a couple of minutes first. I'm also tempted to just throw them in raw... any suggestions?

I used canned (pasturized) raspberries, and the beer tasted and smelled like ... raspberries.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
I wonder if there is any benefit to macerating the fruit with sugar for a day (and then freezing it) before using it.

I imagine this would be better than simply tossing in fresh, sliced strawberries.
You could but depending on how much sugar you use it might take away from the style of beer you are making. Plus, That sugar will begin fermenting again so I would use as little as possible. That sounds like a great idea for wine though!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Who knows, for a dry IIPA with some peach character, maybe it would be genius to mix the sugar addition of the grist with the fruit and pitch it later in fermentation.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews
Who knows, for a dry IIPA with some peach character, maybe it would be genius to mix the sugar addition of the grist with the fruit and pitch it later in fermentation.
That's not a bad idea. It should give you a good healthy fermentation as well. I'd still use campden and pectic enzyme. Along with freezing the fruit of course.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #17
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

am adding cherries to a belgian golden ale abv about 9.5% have fermented now for 2 weeks.
should I place the cherries in a secondary rack the golden ale onto them and ferment another week and then transfer to glass (tertiary?) for aging? or add the cherries into the primary fermenter let it do it's thing and then transfer to secondary?

also what about washing with vodka to kill the bacteria and yeast? pour off the vodka and keep for other uses. this would also bump the abv up a little which is where I want it closer to 10

Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #18
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderThePorchBrewing View Post
am adding cherries to a belgian golden ale abv about 9.5% have fermented now for 2 weeks.
should I place the cherries in a secondary rack the golden ale onto them and ferment another week and then transfer to glass (tertiary?) for aging? or add the cherries into the primary fermenter let it do it's thing and then transfer to secondary?

also what about washing with vodka to kill the bacteria and yeast? pour off the vodka and keep for other uses. this would also bump the abv up a little which is where I want it closer to 10
Put the cherries in a 5 gal carboy and rack on top of it. Let it sit for a month or two, then rack to tertiary to clear.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #19
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
Put the cherries in a 5 gal carboy and rack on top of it. Let it sit for a month or two, then rack to tertiary to clear.
thanks, this is what I thought but didn't know the time to keep in secondary. a month or so. OK. looking at it being a Christmas beer so this works well.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #20
Beer_me_plz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderThePorchBrewing

I'd freeze them over night in a ziplock baggie and then pull them out to thaw pour a little vodka and pectic enzyme on top. mash them really well once thawed dump the whole thing into secondary and rack on top. it should settle out fine in secondary with the pectic enzyme. Vodka doesn't extract the flavor from berries very well make sure you crush them to get the juices out. Also in a five gallon batch the affect on your ABV won't be noticeable. Sounds good though!

Quick Reply