Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Unintentional Lagering...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Ninkasi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Unintentional Lagering...

I was unintentionally lagering an IPA I just made....

Basically, primary and secondary fermentation went off without a hitch at 65-68 degrees. I then moved the bottles to the basement for storage. I couldn't figure out why the beers had virtually no carbonation after 2 weeks. Then the idiot switch turn on in my head and I realized that the floor in my basement must be somewhere around 40 degrees! I moved the beer to a much more moderately location.

Will the simple temperature change be enough to start the bottle conditioning? Should I give all the bottles a nice swirl to kick start any yeast that may have settled out of the past two weeks? Should I just leave them alone now? Whadaya think?

Secondary: PM Oatmeal Stout

Bottled: 1st Partial-Mash (IPA), Cletus' Slackjawed Yokel "Eye Pee Eh", Smarmy Marmot Kolsh, Bunson and Beaker Bock

Up next: World Domination

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

A swirl won't hurt, and they should be fine. Just a pisser than the three-week clock has to start all over again!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, what Bird said...though, cold-conditioning bottles never hurt anything. They'll be better beers in the end because of it.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-22-2007, 01:33 AM   #4
kleinbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Should be right the yaest might have gone a bit domant butwith some slightly higher temp will come back to life and carbonate your beer. give it 3 weeks to a month and try again.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 AM   #5
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

And after they're carbed up, the cold storage is not a bad thing.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
mbreen01
Recipes 

This happened to me, and patience is the key word. Take them back up to 68 and give em a good swirl every 2 days. Resist the temptation to sample until at least 2-3 weeks. Then open one to check the carbonation. If still not carbed, then give them another 2 weeks before opening the next. When it happened to me, it took 5 weeks before they were carbed...but it sure was delicious. My problem is that I probably drank a 1/4 of the flat beer before they were ready...remember...patience...

Marc.

On tap & enjoying: Honey Wheat; Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale
Gone with a belch: Bock Talkit; Three Kings Better Bitter; Quake & Bake Oatmeal Stout; High Altitude Pale Ale
On deck: Garbage Pale Ale; Honey Wheat

Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
Ninkasi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

UPDATE: Beer cases were moved to a warmer spot and all is well. I guess my concern had been that the ale yeast strain might settle out of the beer and go dormant but that was not the case. IPAs are carbinating nicely. Thanks all.

Secondary: PM Oatmeal Stout

Bottled: 1st Partial-Mash (IPA), Cletus' Slackjawed Yokel "Eye Pee Eh", Smarmy Marmot Kolsh, Bunson and Beaker Bock

Up next: World Domination

Quick Reply