Unequal fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
I pitched a large starter between two 5.5 gal batches a few days ago. One of the batches is fermenting much more vigerously than the other. I am guessing it's probably because I did not split the yeast equally between the batches when I pitched. Do you guys think it would it help to skim some yeast off the top of the stronger fermentation and transfer it to the weaker one?

It just goes to show you that you're dealing with living microorganisms, not making coolaid, or just mixing in organic chemicals together...Once you add living creatures to the equation then you are dealing with a wildcard factor....No two fermentations, even with identical ingredients, and the same batch of yeast, are ever the same....

It could be anything...one fermenter could even be 1 degree warmer than the other...

Everything's fine...

Remember, living things are not predictable...think swmbos and teenagers...:D

It just goes to show you that you're dealing with living microorganisms, not making coolaid, or just mixing in organic chemicals together...Once you add living creatures to the equation then you are dealing with a wildcard factor....No two fermentations, even with identical ingredients, and the same batch of yeast, are ever the same....

It could be anything...one fermenter could even be 1 degree warmer than the other...

Everything's fine...

Remember, living things are not predictable...think swmbos and teenagers...:D

That is just not true! I can predict with perfect precision exactly when my wifes attitude will go sour.

As soon as I wake up.

Back