Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Two Ruined Batches! I need your help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #21
meangreen83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlethumper View Post
I'll bet your water supply has picked up some chloromines somehow. You can eliminate or confirm that by buying water for your next batch. Make sure it is either RO water or thoroughly charcoal filtered. I've found that the drinking water sold out of the water vending machines at our supermarket is excellent and only $1.50 for 5 gal.

I had the same issue last spring and ended up dumping 6 batches. Water supplies can change over time.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew
6 batches? That scares the hell out of me. I lost sleep the night after my second batch went bad. I actually have this posted elsewhere on HBT and mystery shrimp just posted this. We might have figured this out.

Originally Posted by mysteryshrimp View Post
145 isn't that low as long as your thermometer is accurate. I've gone down as low as 140 when I wanted a super dry beer. It's not the mash temp. I don't have the heating element directly in contact with my beer, though. If there is a protein buildup, it could be a problem.

+1 for possibly over-extraction of your grains.

You also could have an infected line or a small mold problem in your chiller. Are your carboys glass or plastic?

If it's a problem with your water, it's probably this guy: http://www.aroxa.com/beer/beer-flavo...hylisoborneol/
Holy s*@t! I think this is it! I circulate very hot wort through my plate chiller for 10 minutes before I turn the water on, so I think if I had any mold in the chiller it would be destroyed fairly quickly. The description of 2-methylisoborneol fits what I am smelling from my hydrometer samples.

Conveniently, I am an organic synthetic chemist and I work for a large pharmaceutical company. I'm going to check our inventory tomorrow and see if we have any 2-methylisoborneol. I doubt we have it, as it doesn't appear that useful, but there is a chance.

Thank you mysteryshrimp!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:47 AM   #22
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Sure hope that works out for you. This kind of crap can make you nuts!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

Old 04-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #23
lostcheesehead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Interesting! I hadn't heard of 2-Methylisoborneol (MIB) before. From some of the (very brief, not-at-all-coming-from-a-place-of-experience-so-tell-me-to-shut-up-if-I'm-wrong) reading I've done, it seems like MIB is due to microorganisms (algae) in the water supply, and the MIB and its odor is the result of their interaction with other compounds or death. This suggests that your source water itself would have this odor to it. Can you smell it in your tap water?

Or perhaps the microorganisms are getting into your beer after the boil, which means if you're using a sanitizing solution that requires a rinse, you're just reintroducing the microorganisms to your tools and wort when you rinse. Hm. It's an interesting thing to rule out. Maybe you can call your city water supply and ask about this, or if they test for this?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #24
meangreen83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcheesehead View Post
Interesting! I hadn't heard of 2-Methylisoborneol (MIB) before. From some of the (very brief, not-at-all-coming-from-a-place-of-experience-so-tell-me-to-shut-up-if-I'm-wrong) reading I've done, it seems like MIB is due to microorganisms (algae) in the water supply, and the MIB and its odor is the result of their interaction with other compounds or death. This suggests that your source water itself would have this odor to it. Can you smell it in your tap water?

Or perhaps the microorganisms are getting into your beer after the boil, which means if you're using a sanitizing solution that requires a rinse, you're just reintroducing the microorganisms to your tools and wort when you rinse. Hm. It's an interesting thing to rule out. Maybe you can call your city water supply and ask about this, or if they test for this?
I purchased the R/O water from a Glacier dispenser outside of a grocery store. I didn't taste the water prior to the mash, so I can't be absolutely sure it was there. I know I did taste it a few times during the boil and I did not notice the smell or taste. I did use water from my faucet to make the sanitizer solution that I use for the carboy, but I don't taste it in my tap water. I am going to ask the manager at the grocery store if they have had any complaints recently. I'm going to buy the R/O water from a new source and use it for everything including the sanitizer.

I hadn't heard of 2-MIB until now and it doesn't show up on any searches in HBT, so this isn't a common problem.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #25
kharper6
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How clear is the wort?

I brewed this same recipe, the first hydro sample was chalky/grainy/****ty from all of the hop materal and yeast etc.

Two days later after intense cold crashing and gelatin the beer was crystal clear and tasted incredible.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #26
meangreen83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharper6 View Post
How clear is the wort?

I brewed this same recipe, the first hydro sample was chalky/grainy/****ty from all of the hop materal and yeast etc.

Two days later after intense cold crashing and gelatin the beer was crystal clear and tasted incredible.
I stopped short of adding gelatin and cold crashing these two beers but they both cleared up really nicely. If I had went ahead with it they would have been crystal clear. I tasted the beer again this morning and it was putrid..... I'm going to dump it and clean the carboy later today.

Reason: spelling

Old 04-15-2014, 03:11 AM   #27
meangreen83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I gave my entire set-up a thorough cleansing and it seems that my heating element was dirtier than I thought. What I thought was a thin black film ended up being a cake of char. My plastic brush didn't touch it so I upgraded to a wire brush, which still didn't do the job. I ended up scraping it with sand paper for 45 minutes before it looked like new. I'm going to bet this imparted some nastiness to my last couple brews.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 AM   #28
atoughram
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreen83 View Post
I gave my entire set-up a thorough cleansing and it seems that my heating element was dirtier than I thought. What I thought was a thin black film ended up being a cake of char. My plastic brush didn't touch it so I upgraded to a wire brush, which still didn't do the job. I ended up scraping it with sand paper for 45 minutes before it looked like new. I'm going to bet this imparted some nastiness to my last couple brews.
I dry fired my RIMS element - a 2kw ULWD unit - without any consequences. Heated it up until it started smoking and the brushed off the residue after it cooled down. It's a resistored element that can supposedly take it and I've brewed a batch since.
On tap
Mulholland Hard Cider OG 1.084
Carbon River Hefe OG 1.046

Old 04-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #29
tootal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 23

After mashing we heat a few gallons of water to 150 degrees or so and add Brewery Wash or Super Wash Soda and recirculate it during the boil. After the wort's in the fermenter we rinse the system a couple of times and then disconnect all the hoses, open the pump up and remove the element. It's usually clean or just needs wiped down. We have it on during the cleaning cycle.
We started doing this after the first time we just left the water in there till the next brew day. 3 months later we had this aweful funk smell in the hot liquor. Had to clean and rinse a couple of times before we got rid of the smell. Leaving it open to dry has seemed to work the best since we only get to brew maybe 6 times a year.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity is that you can fix ignorance, if you're not stupid!

meangreen83 Likes This 
Old 04-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #30
dlester
Mo-Fo-Xing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 181

meangreen83, I know this is late in the thread, but I absolutely agree with a couple of the others. It sounds like you burned the wort. I did a concoction once and over cooked the wort. After all was kegged, it tastes like dirt. I ruined a perfect Bock. There's no way to save it.

Lesson learned: burned wort is nasty!

Cheers,

Recent Articles
Bourbon Style Eise Beer at 25-30% abv
How to Clean Beer Lines Quick, Cheap and Easy
Chimay Triple White Clone
Competition Winning Maibock/Helles
Post Pics of Your Brew Day

My Brewery
meangreen83 Likes This 

Quick Reply