Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Two Ruined Batches! I need your help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #1
meangreen83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Two Ruined Batches! I need your help.

The title says it all. I've been brewing for over three years without any problems, until now. I made the following beer twice with the same result.

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/11...ne-walker.html

17.75lbs 2-Row
2.5lbs Munich
5oz Simpsons Caramalt (I used carastan 35L)
Mash @ 145 for 60 min then 155F for 10 min
2oz Warrior @ 90
1oz ea Centennial/Cascade/Chinook @ 30
2.5oz ea Centennial/Cascade @ 0
WLP002 - English Ale Yeast - 1 gallon starter (I pitched 3 vials instead of making a starter)

Dry Hop 1: .5oz ea Centennial/Cascade
Dry Hop 2: .5oz ea Centennial/Cascade/Amarillo/Simcoe
Dry Hop 3: .5oz ea Centennial/Cascade
Dry Hop 4: .5oz ea Centennial/Cascade .25oz ea Amarillo/Simcoe
3-4 days per addition (I never added the dry hops since in tasted terrible)

I scaled it down to five gallons and hit both gravities. However, the hydrometer sample after a week tastes absolutely terrible. It almost tastes like peat or dirt. It is so strong that I can not even taste the beer.

I'll explain my setup and procedure.

I do an all-grain BIAB using the High Gravity electric brewery (http://blog.highgravitybrew.com/2013...rewing-system/). I start with R/O water from the Vonn's down the street and add 1 teaspoon of calcium chloride and 1 teaspoon of calcium sulfate. The temperature is maintained within 1-3 degrees of 145 for 60 minutes then raised to 155 for 10 minutes. I squeeze the hell out of the grains after the mash to get every drop out. Afterwards I cool the wort down quickly with a plate chiller and pitched the three vials of 002. The temperature is maintained between 63-67 in a chest freezer. I hit the OG dead on and the FG after 6 days. However, when I tasted the hydrometer sample it is absolutely aweful. I thought it was a fluke the first time, but I am really worried since the second batch tastes identical to the first.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help. I've wasted a considerable amount of money and time of these two batches of beer and I am hesitant to make any more until I have this figured out.

Does anyone have any idea, or heard of a batch of homebrew with a terribly pungent peaty taste and smell?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
Bearclaw215
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did you try it pre/post boil and was the taste there?
If it wasn't id lean towards sanitation past the kettle or maybe something left in the ro water. What's your water source (city, well, spring, ect)? What do you use for sanitizer? How old is the ro filters?

Primary:Strong Scotch, Munich Helles
Secondary:Daves Pills, Grape Peach Wine, Grape Raspberry Wine
Kegged: Imperial Porter, DFH 60 Min Clone
Bottles: Caramel Cider

Old 04-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
mjohnson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If its not water or infection, could it be the ingredients? Did you use the same ingredients source for both batches? Could you have some bad malt, or nasty hops or something?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
Mdsutton
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

"However, when I tasted the hydrometer sample it is absolutely aweful."

What does that mean, can you describe the flavor?

Sorry, I missed the Peaty taste and smell. OK I have no idea, but that may fade over time.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
tootal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Are you doing a sparge?
Are supposed to squeeze the wort out of the grain or is there a risk of tannin extraction? (I'm asking as I don't do BIAB)
I would think a 170 degree sparge of the grains would be better than squeezing them.?
What was the hydrometer reading when you tasted it? Maybe it just needs more time.
Just spit balling here.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 8

if it tasted like dirt then my guess is something is dirty. either crap in your hoses, chiller, or kettle. i'd run a good cleaner through it for a few minutes with nice warm water. rust can make a brew taste like dirt.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
meangreen83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
If its not water or infection, could it be the ingredients? Did you use the same ingredients source for both batches? Could you have some bad malt, or nasty hops or something?
I did buy everthing from the same brewshop two weeks apart. I was thinking after the first batch that I might have accidentally grabbed some kind of peated malt. I'm thinking about asking to the brew shop if anyone else has experienced this recently, but they will probably blow me off.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
meangreen83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdsutton View Post
"However, when I tasted the hydrometer sample it is absolutely aweful."

What does that mean, can you describe the flavor?

Like band-aids, or antiseptic?
I've went through the flavor wheel (http://morebeer.com/content/homebrew-off-flavors) and it doesn't match anything I can find online. It is almost like the taste you get in your mouth when you are following too close to a car driving down a dirt road. It is a pungent dirty or dusty flavor. I really want to find an experienced homebrewer in the San Diego area that will smell or taste it. My palate may be missing something obvious.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
meangreen83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal View Post
Are you doing a sparge?
Are supposed to squeeze the wort out of the grain or is there a risk of tannin extraction? (I'm asking as I don't do BIAB)
I would think a 170 degree sparge of the grains would be better than squeezing them.?
What was the hydrometer reading when you tasted it? Maybe it just needs more time.
Just spit balling here.
I've heard that the tannic taste from squeezing grains is more of a homebrew urban legend. I've also squeezed the hell out of them before with great results. The gravity has dropped completely by the time I tasted it. The hydrometer sample is still setting on my counter and the taste hasn't faded in three days.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
meangreen83
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGator View Post
if it tasted like dirt then my guess is something is dirty. either crap in your hoses, chiller, or kettle. i'd run a good cleaner through it for a few minutes with nice warm water. rust can make a brew taste like dirt.
I'm leaning toward this also. There is a black film on my heating element which could be the source. I will probably circulate some hot water and PBW through the system this weekend.

Quick Reply