New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Two hydrometers, two different readings..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
discokid2k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Two hydrometers, two different readings..

I hav ebeen chasing an efficiency issue for awhile now and I have literally examined every aspect of my brew days. I finally bought a new hydrometer to see if that may help me find the missing points I am consistently losing somewhere in my brew schedule and would you look at that... Hydrometer on the left is the old one, on the right in the new one. The temp of the beer was 72*, both are calibrated at 60*. A solid 6, almost 7 point gap from new to old. The FG of the beer should be a 1.011 and we are off by one point according to the new hydrometer.

Has my problem, my white efficiency whale seriously been a simple $3 solution??? Tomorrow's brew day will answer this. Any thoughts? I was pretty surprised to see these results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
NivekD

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

You can check your hydrometer in water...it should read 1.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Beer_Eugenics
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 27

It is not uncommon for the paper inside to come loose and move. But as stated use distilled or reverse osmosis water and it should read 1.000.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
alestateyall
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 4

After taking a reading with water you can add (if it reads low) or subtract (if it reads high) the measured error from all future readings. I have never had a hydrometer which read 0 for water. I always have to adjust. My current hydrometer reads 1.003 with water at 60F. So, I subtract 3 gravity points from all readings.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
discokid2k
Recipes 

I have done the water reading on both. The one on the left is off by 4pts in distilled water. That does not account for the almost 7pt difference in my gravity reading here though. I have been correcting my readings by 4 but now I am not so sure that is a perfect adjustment.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
Beer_Eugenics
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Try a two-point calibration.
http://www.byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/article/indices/29-equipment/414-calibrate-your-hydrometer-and-fermenter-techniques

Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by discokid2k View Post
I have done the water reading on both. The one on the left is off by 4pts in distilled water. That does not account for the almost 7pt difference in my gravity reading here though. I have been correcting my readings by 4 but now I am not so sure that is a perfect adjustment.
If the one on the left is off by 4 points in one direction, and the one on the right is off by 3 points in the other direction, that would explain the 7 points difference.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
MichaelBrock

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My hydrometer is high by .003 in RO water. Since I bought it, I have been adjusting by that .003 and having a real problem hitting my OG. I recently did the two point calibration as described in BYO and found that it is right on the money at 1.057. So, at least for my hydrometer, the calibration adjustment is not consistent across the range from 0 to typical wort sg.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
discokid2k
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
If the one on the left is off by 4 points in one direction, and the one on the right is off by 3 points in the other direction, that would explain the 7 points difference.

-a.
The right hydrometer is perfect in water. The one on the left is -.04 pts in distilled water. The 7 pts difference remains a mystery. My solution is to try the two point calibration that was suggessted and after that, I may toss the one on the left. I am going to do one full brew session before I throw anything away just to be 100% sure. Like I said in the original post, I have been running down the efficiency issue for awhile. I have tried everything except 1) a new hydrometer (obviously am on that one now) and 2) my own mill. But I think I found the issue, the hydrometer. The picture is very telling indeed.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
discokid2k
Recipes 

Going to try this one today! The hydrometer on the left is pretty old, a few years at least so I won't be hurting to lose it.

Quick Reply