The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Two Barrel-Aged Group Brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

Default Two Barrel-Aged Group Brews

In the last month or so, I've brewed for two group barrel-aged projects. Both are 50+ gallons. I've never participated in projects like this before, so am interested in seeing how it turns out. Some of our thinking is that we might bring a keg of each to next year's AHA conference in Grand Rapids, for the homebrew club night.

The first is a Tripel and the second is an Imperial Mild (like that even makes sense ) For the Tripel, we all brewed at our homes but using the same recipe. For the Imperial Mild, some of use hauled equipment to a friends farm and had a shared brew day, which was fun.

Here I am, brewing in the corn crib:

Anyone else doing group projects, or barrel-aged brews? I'm thinking about buying a 30 gallon barrel from a local distillery (Koval) and doing another project with a friend - each of us doing 15 gallons.

TxBrew Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

26 hours and completely ignored - that sets a new record for me. Even if folks didn't want to talk about their barrel projects, I thought someone might comment on this stunning photo of me brewing in dirt.

TxBrew Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 AM   #3
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I don't really have a group thing going. I have a 15gal barrel I use. Its a bitch to fill with high gravity, but even a low gravity brew is a pain because my kettle is only 15 gal. So I can do high gravity and dilute or I have to two batches just like with high gravity brews. I'd like to get a kettle capable of 30 gal boils for barrel filling purposes. I'd eventually like to get a couple wine barrels and fill them on my own. That will necessitate me buying another house first. Anyhow, hope the group things work out. I bet it can be a pain in the butt pulling the beer from the barrel in an orchestrated manner that agrees with the schedules of all involved.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I understand the smaller the barrel, the more careful you have to be regarding timing, because of the increased surface area exposed to wood. As for the group pulling the beer, yes, we'll need to find a time when we can all do it, or at least give our clean/sanitized kegs to the barrel-keeper.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
ShaineT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Our club the MCZA (Mid-Columbia Zymurgy Association) is fortunate enough to do two group brew sessions a year using a local micro-brewery's equipment. We call them megabrews and usually produce around 300 gallons of ferment-able wort of which each member takes some home to ferment with their choice of yeast and temp. We've not done a barrel aging as of yet, at least since I've joined. If any of you in clubs have a microbrewery that supports you I highly encourage to inquire for the possibility of conducting "megabrews" on their equipment. We always have a staff member there to supervise and help with equipment. Cheers!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaineT View Post
Our club the MCZA (Mid-Columbia Zymurgy Association) is fortunate enough to do two group brew sessions a year using a local micro-brewery's equipment. We call them megabrews and usually produce around 300 gallons of ferment-able wort of which each member takes some home to ferment with their choice of yeast and temp. We've not done a barrel aging as of yet, at least since I've joined. If any of you in clubs have a microbrewery that supports you I highly encourage to inquire for the possibility of conducting "megabrews" on their equipment. We always have a staff member there to supervise and help with equipment. Cheers!
That's an interesting idea for a group brew that I had not thought of before - thanks.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1571 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
26 hours and completely ignored - that sets a new record for me. Even if folks didn't want to talk about their barrel projects, I thought someone might comment on this stunning photo of me brewing in dirt.
I thought you were taller with bigger muscles.
People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

So that's how you get the barnyard character when you don't have any Brett laying around!

Old 07-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 618

Our club did a barrel project and won the BRO competition at the SoCal HBfest with it.

I've recently been invited on two myself, though we haven't brewed yet. One will be a barrel aged barleywine and the other either a Flanders Red, or a Lambic.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 83 batches and counting (as of 6/21/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2943 Times on 1869 Posts
Likes Given: 2485

That cardboard windscreen is clever. And flammable.

Looks like you're missing your right pinky. Sure sign of an Italian loan gone wrong.

Good man, the cornhole is ready. I love that game. I challenge thee.

Good luck with your barrel projects.

Quick Reply