New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Twenty Minute Flameout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
Dog House Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How would you compensate/figure IBU for this style of steep. I do this always on my hop styles, but have trouble figuring the IBU. I know I'm getting added bitterness with this addition because all my score sheets are getting deductions from being too hoppy for the style.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 AM   #12
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Too hoppy can also mean too much hop aroma or flavor. I've read over and over there's no bitterness or IBU's added by flame out additions, but I would think you'd get some level of IBU gain from a flame out addition considering the temperature.

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #13
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILBMF View Post
I've read over and over there's no bitterness or IBU's added by flame out additions, but I would think you'd get some level of IBU gain from a flame out addition considering the temperature.
That's right. According to JZ and Palmer, 175* is about the minimum for isomerization of alpha acids. So basically from flame out to 175* you're going to get additional IBUs from any late additions / whirlpool additions. Unfortunately, the various calculations that estimate IBUs (ie. Rager and Tinsenth) are all flawed in some way or another and don't take this into account very well so your software might not assign any IBUs, but you'll get them.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #14
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have been doing tons of post boil additions lately. My last two beers used 6 ounces of hops after flameout.

I throw a couple ounces in right at flameout, mostly to get a little bitterness and flavor. Then throw in a couple more ounces at like 170*, these are just hot enough to extract the desired compounds without evaporating away. Finally I threw in a couple ounces at around 120* to simulate an accelerated dry hop.

I then dry hopped 2 ounces primary and will rack onto 2 more ounces in the keg.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
HopLife
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesilential View Post
I have been doing tons of post boil additions lately. My last two beers used 6 ounces of hops after flameout.

I throw a couple ounces in right at flameout, mostly to get a little bitterness and flavor. Then throw in a couple more ounces at like 170*, these are just hot enough to extract the desired compounds without evaporating away. Finally I threw in a couple ounces at around 120* to simulate an accelerated dry hop.

Wow, point taken. How were these beers. Are you describing a 5 gallon batch, or bigger. At 5 gallons that would be a ton of hops.

meh.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #16
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopLife

Wow, point taken. How were these beers. Are you describing a 5 gallon batch, or bigger. At 5 gallons that would be a ton of hops.
6 gal batches, 5.5 in bucket.

They also had a couple ounces of first wort hops for bittering . Keep in mind, aside from the FWH addition none of the hops were boiled at all.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #17
emjay
Lacto- and pediophile
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonacel

That's right. According to JZ and Palmer, 175* is about the minimum for isomerization of alpha acids. So basically from flame out to 175* you're going to get additional IBUs from any late additions / whirlpool additions. Unfortunately, the various calculations that estimate IBUs (ie. Rager and Tinsenth) are all flawed in some way or another and don't take this into account very well so your software might not assign any IBUs, but you'll get them.
This is largely true, but one also needs to keep in mind that the rate of isomerization falls RAPIDLY, and that what happens in 5 minutes at 210° will likely take more than an hour at 180°. This is why people are able to no-chill without just ending up with all bitterness and absolutely no flavor or aroma.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
Stankonia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

I want to taste that...

Has anyone experienced problems with DMS while not cooling quickly? Also, I read that it is better to leave the kettle un-covered during cooling. Although some hop aroma compounds will leave the beer, but also DMS precursors are leaving when left uncovered??

Old 12-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

I like the way that sounds. I drop a lot of hops in at flameout on IPA's and now I'm going to try something like what you are doing. I have a sickness for endless hop flavor/aroma. I can't ever seem to get enough. There's nothing like a great batch of nugget nectar which is similar to what I always aim for.

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Old 12-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #20
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I've been thinking of pumping chilled wort back into my kettle to whirlpool until the kettle temperature reaches 175*F, THEN adding my flameout hops. I'd imagine the very hot wort world effectively extract hop flavor and aroma, but by knocking the temperature down some 30+ degrees below boiling I'd preserve some delicious volitiles. Anyone doing this?

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Quick Reply