The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Turkey Fryer Kettle for Boil Kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Turkey Fryer Kettle for Boil Kettle?

I'm sending my dad a beginner kit for a retirement/birthday gift and flying home to impart the knowledge that i've gained from all of you. he's got a turkey fryer setup with a propane stand burner and a big stainless kettle, and i'm wondering if it's kosher to use that kettle for boiling wort? i know some of us, me included, wouldn't dare use a kettle for both fryin turkey and boiling beer, but beyond the snobbery is it ok to use so long as it's clean, etc? i'm just thinking that maybe the grease that's been in there in the past might have an affect on the wort, maybe leave an oil slick or a taste. he's as anal as i am and i know that thing is spotless after every use, so can we use it or do i need to add $100 to the order?

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Clean it really good and then hit it with BFK. I'd fill it full of water after wards and let it get good and hot then dump it. After that, should be good to go. I sure wouldn't drop the money on a new one, especially if dear ol' dad decides he doesn't like home brew.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'd do as the previous poster said and clean it first with something that cuts grease (maybe simple green, or at least some dish soap) and then clean it with some barkeeper's friend.

If you try boiling some water in it before you use it for brewing, I would think that if there were still any grease in it you'd be able to see it as a film on the surface of the water afterward, which would be a pretty easy final check. In all though, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about as long as you clean it properly.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brew with my 8 gallon stainless turkey fryer kettle and I still do turkeys in to too.

It's stainless, so a soak in hot water with Oxyclean or PBW with followed by a scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend and you are good to go.

Quick Reply