New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Trust Your Airlock

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #71
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatchable View Post
Precisely, what works best in our respective breweries. this thread has grown incredibly ugly, ladden with nut shots since the beginning. discussion is one thing, preaching your specific practices and beliefs as fact is another. you are only looking stupid, considering the endless ways there are to make beer.
Find another place to post if all you can do is hurl insults and get upset. We're supposed to help each other around here, despite how silly the thread is. If I think someone is giving bad advice, I will counter it.

I don't see how telling someone that it is a good idea to use an hydrometer is preaching specific practices and beliefs as fact. Perhaps you weren't talking about me, but perhaps you should also discuss matters instead of getting all torn up because you don't like a thread.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #72
bhatchable
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
Hopefully this debate can be utilized to confirm best practices in the brewing process. I think the debate here has identified that value can be found from both sides of the debate, leading readers to draw a conclusion that would indicate that there is usable information that can be acquired from both airlock activity as well as hydrometer readings. And that utilizing that information together is probably the best approach to ensuring that your beer has completed fermentation.
I concur. but when it just gets so damn testosterone fueled and snarky from the start it is not productive. the guy that wants to use his hydrometer daily, go for it, sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. guy that wants to trust his airlock only.. great, go for it pal. but when it comes down to telling someone that there way is wrong, especially the gentleman who "uses his intuition" (who probably brews that one beer damn consistantly), then it is just ugly and needlessly personal. STFU everyone, share what you percieve to be helpful to the brewing process, and if people adopt it they will, if not, well you tried. you can't brew someones batch vicariously through this forum, so stop trying.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:41 PM   #73
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
I thought we were here to give each other advice, explore the hobby and find out what works best in our respective breweries. While this thread may not be the greatest example, if we're not allowed to discuss than it seems we shouldn't be here at all.

But by the very nature of this thread, it SHOULD be in the debate forum
Nail on the head.

Best Regards, James
--
My beer blog: http://brewdujour.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 08-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #74
ThickHead

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatchable View Post
...but when it comes down to telling someone that there way is wrong, especially the gentleman who "uses his intuition" (who probably brews that one beer damn consistantly), then it is just ugly and needlessly personal. STFU everyone, share what you percieve to be helpful to the brewing process, and if people adopt it they will, if not, well you tried. you can't brew someones batch vicariously through this forum, so stop trying.
I'm certainly not calling this person wrong. But if indeed they are indicating that as a general practice one "almost never" requires the use of a hydrometer in the brewing process, it's certainly not sending the "right" message to inexperienced brewers. My comment in response to that person's statement was generally to convey that it is rare for someone to be able to apply that protocol successfully as a general best practice of one's brewing process. I think it is well established here that intuition is probably not the best method of gauging fermentation completion. Although I will concede that it is potentially possible to be successful using intuition.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #75
AJ_in_HD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

saw this title browsing "New Posts" section as I often do and didn't realize till a few pages in that this was in "Brew Science" subforum. lol. I agree that this thread really hasn't offered up much in the way of science and is more of a debate.

As a "new" brewer (~7 brews under my belt) I'll offer the n00b view I have on my brews for better or worse.

1. airlock activity - I check to make sure it's perking the next day. I don't routinely monitor the progress.
2. I take a gravity and temperature reading before pitching.
3. After 2-3 weeks I check gravity and temperature and rack to bottling bucket/keg.

During this time I've never really gone by airlock activity cuz from my understanding even if actual fermentation is done the yeast can still condition the beer and clear it up or whatever. This just makes me wonder what's the point in checking airlock when the yeast still need time to do their business? Then of course I learned that people also condition in a secondary (this also seems to be issue of debate here, I don't do secondaries cuz i'm lazy and my beers aren't very complex ) so I guess there is some reason to want to know when your beer is finished fermenting. But being a scientist myself, I've always just figured that the only real way to tell if your beer is done fermenting is if your gravity reading doesn't change over time and it's in the range that you'd expect for the yeast you used.

Honestly the only real reason I check the gravity of my beer is because I like calculating the alcohol content.

Anyway, cheers!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #76
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 51

When did all you guys put airlocks on your Mr. Beer kegs?Mine doesn't even have one.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #77
bhatchable
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCOLA View Post
When did all you guys put airlocks on your Mr. Beer kegs?Mine doesn't even have one.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #78
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Air lock activity is one (Sometimes unreliable way) to indicate fermentation activity....
Unless it goes with experience and some risk taking then it is not a good way to decide if fermentation is complete.

Bold capitals and name calling is one indication that a mod may delete a post.
Please refrain.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #79
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfy View Post
Air lock activity is one (Sometimes unreliable way) to indicate fermentation activity....
Unless it goes with experience and some risk taking then it is not a good way to decide if fermentation is complete.

Bold capitals and name calling is one indication that a mod may delete a post.
Please refrain.
I deleted a post above with some name calling and "yelling" (bold letters).

Let me say this- we are all grown ups here. It's really immature to use words like "retarded" or "stupid" in a post. That's name calling, and won't be tolerated.

Put on your big boy pants and discuss your points without name calling.

Now, I can often tell by airlock activity what's going on in my fermenter. Since I keg most of my beers, though, I've gotten a bit lazy about checking the FG. Yesterday I kegged a beer that I knew was done- both by time and airlock activity. Taking a sample, FG was 1.021. Oops! If I was bottling, I'd worry. But since I'm not, I just shrugged and moved on. My point is that the airlock was not really helpful, and the hydrometer was. But since it really doesn't matter in that beer (projected FG was 1.017-1.018 and it's kegged so no explosions) I don't really care all that much.

What we do get around here is posts that say, "My airlock was bubbling three times a minute yesterday, but today is 1 time every five second" and "I don't see any bubbles- is my beer ruined?" and that's when I always tell new brewers to not trust their airlock and to rely on hydrometer readings.

I don't think it's either/or. Telling someone to move their beer when bubbling slows is bad advice- but telling them to take daily hydrometer readings is also bad advice.

In the words of the infamous Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #80
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This thread is so much more hilarious after a few beers..

Do what you want, or don;t do anything, it's your beer after all...

Closed Thread

Quick Reply