Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Trust Your Airlock
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 10:57 PM   #61
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
constant atmospheric pressure (which you failed to mention) in order to go strictly by the airlock.
Technically, you need constant atmospheric pressure for a hydrometer to read exactly accurately.

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #62
sundowner
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
My "rare gift" comment was based on his protocol of his "almost never" using a hydrometer.
What I actually said was:

"I'll take an OG reading, but other than that, I don't use it much anymore"

I claim no "rare gift", but I do know when most of my beers are finished. I've brewed them over and over and over again.

I also said, I would recommend new brewers use a hydrometer. I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but I do mind when they make up stuff that I didn't say or mean.

Egos...ugh, who needs 'em

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 PM   #63
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumprock View Post
Someone has definately got a chip on their shoulder in this thread, and I don't quite get it.
One thing I learned when I picked this hobby up again a couple years ago, there's many different ways of achieving the same goal (beer), and there is no one specific way to do anything.
I think this thread belongs in Debate forum, not Brew Science..
+1
everyone has their way of doing things. some ways may not be agreeable with others, but it is their perogative to do things the way they please. This thread was misplaced from the very beginning and has only grown into now six pages of low blows and sh*tty jabs. (See thread starters "brew science" and "debate" - both quite self-explanatory) Get a motherf*cking life everyone and support your fellow brewer, even if he/she doesn't follow the same practices. grow up. I'm going to look at more brewing science now. brewing is fun.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:06 PM   #64
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
I think you’ve misunderstood my original post. From the beginning I’ve promoted taking hydrometer readings at the appropriate time. I even said that after airlock activity and patience had run their course that a reading should be taken, but that after this another should not be necessary. I don’t see this as being "minimalist."
Perhaps I did misunderstand your original intent...as it seemed to be to create controversy. If you've reached your gravity, you shouldn't need to take another reading. If you have NOT reached your gravity, then further action may need to be taken.

We could argue about this forever. I don't have a single problem with taking a reading EVERY DAY, as long as they are using proper sanitation, purging with co2, etc. It just isn't good in general practice, much like relying on your airlock as a sole indicator of fermentation stage.

Quote:
May be if the title of the thread was don’t NOT trust your airlock there wouldn’t be so many posts taking the intent wrong. That intent was to not disregard the information that your airlock has to offer. That under ideal condition an airlock trustworthy, but you have to understand it's limitations within you system. And finally that to disregard it to the point of saying it's only use is a vent is foolish.
Again, I think it's very trustworthy as a device for allowing gas to excape from your fermenter. One could also partially guage that fermentation is complete due to a lack of activity, but this is not always the case, nor is it good practice.

Quote:
But yes, I do believe that someone starting the prescribed method of taking three consecutive reading after 7-10 days is excessive and unnecessary for most beers. But that's just me.
I understand the "3 consecutive days" idea, although I'm not an advocate of it. It's just showing you whether or not you have active fermentation, despite what your airlock is doing, and is an ok practice as long as you have everything sanitized.

So if your gravity is 6 points higher than expected, do you think people should just bottle? Or perhaps they should check again a few days later to see if it moved at all? Perhaps give it a taste and think about whether it is "too sweet."

So no, I don't think people should TRUST THEIR AIRLOCK. I think like any other thing, if you're unsure, you should check it with your hydrometer. Every airlock is different, every beer is different, every brewer is different.

If I'm going to preach anything here, it's going to be: HAVE SOME DAMN PATIENCE. If you're so hung up on whether your beer is done or not, wait another week.

Beer shouldn't come out of the primary in less than two weeks, anyway, unless you are purposely brewing a fast beer and know precisely what you are doing.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #65
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Please link to who are you quoting here. I missed something. Thanks.
I was quoting Clayton from post #26:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
really i dont know what all the fuss is about i almost never use my Hydrometer...
I didn't mean to insinuate that you made this comment, and i don't think I did.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:14 PM   #66
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatchable View Post
stop Trying To Dictate To People Your Way Of Doing Things. This Thread Is Officially Retarded. Get A Life
I thought we were here to give each other advice, explore the hobby and find out what works best in our respective breweries. While this thread may not be the greatest example, if we're not allowed to discuss than it seems we shouldn't be here at all.

But by the very nature of this thread, it SHOULD be in the debate forum

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 PM   #67
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
What I actually said was:

"I'll take an OG reading, but other than that, I don't use it much anymore"

I claim no "rare gift", but I do know when most of my beers are finished. I've brewed them over and over and over again.

I also said, I would recommend new brewers use a hydrometer. I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but I do mind when they make up stuff that I didn't say or mean.

Egos...ugh, who needs 'em
I quoted Clayton from post #26, not you. I am not imposing any ego. I just found it contrary to logic that one would "almost never" use a hydrometer and have a feel for when fermentation was complete. I wasn't even indicating that it couldn't be accomplished. IMHO it would be a rare gift to be able to develop a feel that allows you to quantifiably judge the completion of fermentation everytime you brewed a batch. The statement was also purely to maintain a specific side of a debate so that if others were reading they get a logical view of different practices used in the brewing process.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #68
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
I thought we were here to give each other advice, explore the hobby and find out what works best in our respective breweries. While this thread may not be the greatest example, if we're not allowed to discuss than it seems we shouldn't be here at all.

Precisely, what works best in our respective breweries. this thread has grown incredibly ugly, ladden with nut shots since the beginning. discussion is one thing, preaching your specific practices and beliefs as fact is another. you are only looking stupid, considering the endless ways there are to make beer.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:20 PM   #69
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Tense emotions and flying insults? Yeah, sounds about right.

But it's not religion or politics, it's a HYDROMETER for chrissake.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #70
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatchable View Post
Precisely, what works best in our respective breweries. this thread has grown incredibly ugly, ladden with nut shots since the beginning. discussion is one thing, preaching your specific practices and beliefs as fact is another. you are only looking stupid, considering the endless ways there are to make beer.
Hopefully this debate can be utilized to confirm best practices in the brewing process. I think the debate here has identified that value can be found from both sides of the debate, leading readers to draw a conclusion that would indicate that there is usable information that can be acquired from both airlock activity as well as hydrometer readings. And that utilizing that information together is probably the best approach to ensuring that your beer has completed fermentation.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply