FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3091 Times on 3013 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
For most of it's history people made beer without hydrometers...or even thermometers. They did it by being observant. The notion that you have to be some sort of Yeast Whisperer or Beer Savant to do this is ridiculous imo.

Thank you. It twists my knickers to no end when folks are so dead set into one process to brew. Use any and all resources available to you. Ignoring a "pressure relief" device because it doesn't have a graduated scale on it is ignoring data. Brewing is art AND science and always has been. Use your senses to see where things are in the process as well as "modern" tools available to you.

To ignore one aspect or the other doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #92
flyangler18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Someone needs to walk away from the keyboard.

These childish temper tantrums are happening too damn much.

I'm disappointed.

mmb,

Very well stated and it was the point that I was trying to make as well; as much as I like using scientific instruments like my hydrometer and my refractometer, I still take the time to use my senses to make observations rather than just cold readings.

Last edited by flyangler18; 09-01-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #93
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It was bad enough that Squirrely decided to take out whatever sh!T was going on yesterday out on me. That's why I pretty much ignored this what did he just call it, "little game", 'casue I knew I didn't do anything to warrant it.

But don't you ever ****ing call me a liar again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I don't see airlock buubling I don't see airlcok bubbling, several OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD HAVE SAID THEY DON'T OFTEN SEE AIRLOCK BUBBLING. So shove it up your ass!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't say that if it wasn't true....where the **** do you THINK I got the IDEA NOT TO TRUST THE DAMN THING ANYWAY, [i]from my own observations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
I am totally with you on this. Revvy has gone above and beyond to help the beginners who come to this forum. All this banter aside, that's something that gets my respect. Had my share of homebrew last night and mellowed out. Hope we can all start this new day as friends.

It was a rough game, but thanks for playing.
Or not . . .

signed Squirrely

Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #94
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

IBL or before Yooper/Orfy/o||||||||||||||||||||o regulate this mofo...

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #95
mmb
FNG

Recipes 

Quote:
Or accuse me of being "misleading."

If I don't see airlock bubbling I don't see airlcok bubbling, several OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD HAVE SAID THEY DON'T OFTEN SEE AIRLOCK BUBBLING. So shove it up your##

I wouldn't say that if it wasn't true....where the **** do you THINK I got the IDEA NOT TO TRUST THE DAMN THING ANYWAY, from my own observations.

I have 9 different fermenters, buckets, carboys, water bottles, whatever, and I have seen airlock bubling maybe half the time....
To me, that would be an equipment fault and I'd strive to fix it. I've never had a batch ferment where there wasn't airlock activity. If the airlock wasn't bubbling, it wasn't doing the job of letting pressure out without letting outside air in.

You know your equipment. The n00b that says it's not bubbling might not know how to use the equipment and saying "It's alright, sometimes it doesn't bubble" doesn't help them use the equipment the right way. You might have a leak in bucket/lid/stopper/whatever that you are aware of. The n00b doesn't know that.

Not had your morning coffee yet?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #96
p4ck37p1mp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jeez guys, calm down.

-- "Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly."

Old 09-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #97
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

lolin in dis thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #98
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
It was bad enough that Squirrely . . .

I have 9 different fermenters, buckets, carboys, water bottles, whatever, and I have seen airlock bubling maybe half the time....
Must be that damn Squirrely chewing holes in your equipment.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #99
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Thank you. It twists my knickers to no end when folks are so dead set into one process to brew. Use any and all resources available to you. Ignoring a "pressure relief" device because it doesn't have a graduated scale on it is ignoring data. Brewing is art AND science and always has been. Use your senses to see where things are in the process as well as "modern" tools available to you.

To ignore one aspect or the other doesn't make any sense to me at all.
I don't ignore per se, but I don't take too much stock in it. The OP, regardless of the pretense *I* believe came with it, believes that the primary to secondary gravity reading is unnecessary and that we (gravity takers as a whole) are using it as a step to play with our beer. Also, I read it as he believes the gravity readings are just to see attenuation/brew efficiency, after the fact. That's my interpretation of what he wrote.

My 3 issues with what he said were that he assumes we're playing around for the sake of playing (as I said in another reply, I have *my* reasons), new brewers aren't sanitary and that this thread appeared to be for the sake of debunking something that Revvy preaches.

The thread deteriorated into making it sound like the OP was insinuating people were taking daily/hourly gravity readings. I don't think he implied that. I think he was just referring to that one extra reading. So I think he got an unfair shake on that.

I'm of the opinion, based on what I got out of his first post, that it is bad advice that he is giving (but who the hell am I?). He's got an opinion, I've got one. I'm willing to agree to disagree.

For those saying, "they've done it without hydrometers for 1000s of years"... Didn't people used to also practice bloodletting? Or how about how they used to help the Civil War soldiers with their gun shots... a bottle of whiskey and a hacksaw. I suppose they're all fine, but I'd rather not eyeball it...

Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #100
mmb
FNG

Recipes 

I believe that racking to secondary is mostly unnecessary as well, but let's not open THAT can of worms...

Gravity readings after fermentation, for me, are just to see attenuation and ABV. I'm not going to pitch champagne yeast or beano to try to attenate the beer more and ruin what I already have. It's done. My process is such that if I hit my temps on brewday and my OG reading I have no issues during fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzik View Post
For those saying, "they've done it without hydrometers for 1000s of years"... Didn't people used to also practice bloodletting? Or how about how they used to help the Civil War soldiers with their gun shots... a bottle of whiskey and a hacksaw. I suppose they're all fine, but I'd rather not eyeball it...
This old chestnut again. Brewing science and process has been refined over the years, but nothing in the actual process has changed. We boil the wort, add yeast one way or the other and let things progress from there. History might not have known exactly WHY something worked, but it worked and we really haven't changed it.

*chuckle* bloodletting....

Closed Thread

Quick Reply