Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tropical/Candy-like aroma in Rye IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
rtb178
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Tropical/Candy-like aroma in Rye IPA?

Just tasted the first bottle of a Rye IPA. Lots of Hops in the brew, in particular a mix of Chinook and Cascade in the last 5 minute boil. Dry hop was Chinook-Cascade-Amarillo in equal measure.

Great flavor, and I enjoy the aroma. But the aroma is a bit tropical and candy-sweet. Any idea why that would be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 226

It's the hops. I made a pale ale using Citra hops and it tasted like it had mango in it.(quite pleasant I thought) When I made it again I used Citra and Cascade and it tastes like carbonated grapefruit juice. If you want other flavors, choose the hops to give them to you. Here's a listing of hops and their flavors. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/hops

Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
rtb178
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
It's the hops.
Definitely. I should've been clearer: any idea *which* hops might be giving me the sweet candy aroma? Chinook-cascade-amarillo -- is it the cascade, probably?

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
JesperX
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 34 Posts

It's a little unexpected from any of those hops but I'd have to blame Amarillo here. It can be orangey/mangoey at times. The cascade's grapefruit could be adding to that.

Primary: American Brown Ale
Kegged: American Pale Ale V2

On Deck: American Pale Ale V3
Brown Porter

Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Amarillo would be the fruitiest of that bunch. If you don't like that flavor, then you used too much Amarillo late and in the dryhop. Next time, use less or substitute a portion with other hops. Candy sweetness can also come from a high FG, yeast selection/attenuation, higher fermentation temps, and possibly even too much crystal malts in your recipe. The hop juiciness works in tandem with the sweeter, caramelly beer to give some "fruit juice" attributes instead of a straight up, dry, hoppy, bready, bitter beer.

Quick Reply