Originally Posted by brazedowl
Ok so I'd like to say we had success...
A) We brewed indoors on a range. We did two batches simultaneously and then we did the third.
B) We noted things throughout that we would improve upon on the next go. First off we're going to get some burners and do it outside. The kitchen was a hot, sticky mess by the time we were done. We want to construct a wort chiller and some other things for our next run. We're way fired up.
C) Somehow the sweet stout
kit we made ended up being closer to 1.075 than 1.049 like the directions said. We didn't change anything so that's a mystery.
Congrats on partial success; especially using a range...
Sweet stout likely hit higher OG because your mash in/ or rather extract in temp was a little high (gave you more fermentable sugars in your wort).
That's okay if you had a healthy yeast pitch (it will just yield a higher ABV)... But if you had a low attenuating or infected yeast you will likely get some weird off flavors in this beer.
Make certain you give these a healthy time to mature in the fermenters and you should be content with the product
Congrats and best of luck!