Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tried white labs liquid yeast, no action yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Mainebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Tried white labs liquid yeast, no action yet?

I bought a Midwest Honey Porter Kit and put it together last night. Everything went well, I took the yeast out of the fridge at lunch time just to make sure it was room temp. I cooled wort to 70-72 and shook the vial up very well to make sure all the yeasties were off the glass, then popped off the air lock and poured them in. By the way I like that, it is alot easier then dry yeast in a carboy. Anyhoo that was at 8:30 pm last night, when I awoke this morning there was no action, no little cloud starting to form, now I know this is only my 4th beer but the last 3 took right off within 12hrs or so. Now I know I should RDWHAHB but is this standard with liquid yeast and what is the norm. I know every beer is different, so I am not climbing the walls yet!

Thanks for the input.

Have a porter on tap, and 10 gal of a ipa going to work. in the mean time I sip beers from all over from great beer trades. Have a ghoulship in the fridge now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You underpitched, and as such, are now experiencing a lag time while the yeast colony grows and adapts to the wort conditions. The White Labs vials don't have a proper amount of yeast cells for direct pitching, so making a starter when using liquid yeast is a best practice.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

AHH! I should have done a search or something on the forum, The funny thing is that the vial did not say to make a starter. Can I jump start this with a little dry yeast I always keep 3 or 4 packs in the fridge. Or should I let it do its thing I looked at the temp and the carboy is maintaining 70 deg.

Have a porter on tap, and 10 gal of a ipa going to work. in the mean time I sip beers from all over from great beer trades. Have a ghoulship in the fridge now!!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebrew View Post
AHH! I should have done a search or something on the forum, The funny thing is that the vial did not say to make a starter. Can I jump start this with a little dry yeast I always keep 3 or 4 packs in the fridge. Or should I let it do its thing I looked at the temp and the carboy is maintaining 70 deg.
At this point, let it do its thing. I imagine it will take off today. If you aren't seeing visible signs of fermentation by the end of the day, I'd consider repitching a sachet of dry yeast.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for your help, I will also maybe try to get the carboy temp maybe up a little to get an earlier start.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used it a few weeks ago.. and I directly pitched it.

It didn't start doing anything until day 4.. but it looks great now.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4784 Times on 3479 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebrew View Post
Thanks for your help, I will also maybe try to get the carboy temp maybe up a little to get an earlier start.
I wouldn't- while yeast do like warmer temperatures, you'd be more likely then to have it start fermenting too warm, and then having trouble bringing the temperature down.

I didn't see if you posted which yeast you used, but 70 degrees is probably near the upper limit for most of the popular strains. Remember that fermentation itself is exothermic, and once fermentation kicks off, the temperature of the wort can rise quickly and as much as 5-8 degrees quite easily.

There is a sticky here on the forum called something like "Fermentation can take 24-72 hours to start". It has lots of good information on this issue. The short answer is that you were very lucky before if fermentation started in less than 24 hours- that isn't typical with liquid yeast.

Mrmalty.com has a pitching calculator that is interesting to look at and see what the recommended pitching rates are for the SG of the wort and the age of the yeast vial.

I would wait the full 72 hours before repitching- liquid yeast is expensive, and if you now add the dry yeast to the wort, the dry yeast will "take over" the fermentation and ferment the wort. Give the yeast you pitched a chance to get going before giving up!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What temp did you pitch? And what was your batch?

Old 12-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Mainebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks Yooper I will. I know I paid xtra for the liquid thinking it would be an easier pitch in the carboy and I am guessing by what I read that liquid is the better form to use. Probably and topic that already has been argumented! But I thought I would try it out.

Thanks again

Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2350 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

I know lots of people who use dry yeast ONLY, unless the strain they need for that particular style is only available in liquid.

Quick Reply