Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > transferring from primary to secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
sub1427
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default transferring from primary to secondary

When I transfer from primary to my carboy how much sediment should I expect to be on the bottom of the primary? Should I just transfer it all or leave the seidment and crud behind? I mean once its in the carboy ill be able to judge when i sipon for bottling. I figure there is delicous beer in that crud so I might as well transfer it to the carboy. Let me know. Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub1427
When I transfer from primary to my carboy how much sediment should I expect to be on the bottom of the primary? Should I just transfer it all or leave the seidment and crud behind? I mean once its in the carboy ill be able to judge when i sipon for bottling. I figure there is delicous beer in that crud so I might as well transfer it to the carboy. Let me know. Cheers.
There will be a semi-solid layer of yeast cake on the bottom--you definitely want to leave that behind.

Other than that, how greedy you are is kindof a matter of personal preference. The more trub you leave nehind now (and when you bottle), the clearer your beer will be.

If you have an autosiphon, the little cap gizmo that goes on the bottom holds it just about the right height off the bottom of the bucket.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 04-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
sub1427
Recipes 

Cweston, yeah my tube has this little back cap on the bottom, is that about how much crud will be left? not more then that 1/2 inch or so?

Old 04-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

It kinda depends on some elements of your brewing process: how much hops you used, whether they were pellet or whole, and whether you did anything to remove hops and other trub from your wort when it went from the kettle to the fermenter.

If those factors add up to a relatively low amount of trub in the primary, then yeah, you can probably siphon down to that last inch or possibly even less.

I'd put it this way: if the liquid going through your siphon tube is cloudy, don't sweat it. If there are visible chunks of stuff, lift your racking cane or auto siphon a little higher.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 04-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
sub1427
Recipes 

I strained all the grains and hops and all that jazz out when it went into the primary so i guess your right, there shouldnt really be that much in it. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply