Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Transferring beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Terry08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Transferring beer

I am hoping to get a good suggestion on this.
I am going to a party today and taking a few different beers with me as Stubbies 375ml bottles.

I placed 6 washed bottles in the freezer and cooled some large bottles of beer to pour into the stubbies. Reason presentation and although I get only a dusting of sediment I did not want any in the stubbies I am taking.

I have a half hour to kill so I thought I would ask for ideas. I now have the bottles filled and as the bottles and beer was cold I do not think I have lost that much gas.

I know if it were kegged it would not be a biggie, still who knows there may be a budding genius with a misspent youth out there. Wait a minute that sounds like me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think by cooling everything you probably prevented some carbonation loss, but if it were me, I would have just brought the larger bottles and poured carefully from them, leaving the sediment and the last 1/4" of beer behind.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have tried that in the past but after they have been in the car for I/2 hour they did get shook up somewhat. The beer I did transfer was not bad albeit a bit shy on gas.

I will move on to another idea. In the mean time I will just serve my beer to guests here. It was my birthday yesterday (66) and after many samples I am now undecided as to what to brew next.
Lager - Draught - Dark Ale. I only have enough bottles left for one batch 200 x 750ml bottles stored.
I have been toying with brewing a Stout for next winter (June here).

Ahh! the stress of deciding, its all go here.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The best way to prevent sediment in bottled beer is to bottle from kegged beer after it is carbed into chilled bottles using a counter-pressure filler. If you don't have one you can get very good results using a piece of tubing on your tap that goes to the bottom of the bottle with very low pressure on the keg. I just disconnect the CO2 and bleed it off if I am filling just a few bottles and not changing my CO2 Pressure regulator so I won't loose the setting to maintain proper carbonation for that keg.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't have a keg system. Reason I love my beer and I would not trust myself.
I put a couple of bottles 750ml in a fridge in the morning to have in the everning.

You are right as a local brew shop uses a method of storing beer in a cold room allowing clients to bottle from kegs pre gased. That would be the best method.

Ahh well! I will ponder the problem over a brew tonight.

Cheers

Quick Reply