Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Transfering the wort to the primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
idlehero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Transfering the wort to the primary

I've seen here that a lot of people use the whirlpool method to separate trub from the wort. Is this method preferable to just pouring the cooled wort through a strainer+funnel into the primary fermenter? I figured that maybe pouring through the filter caused lots of splashing, which could risk contamination... but really, you're going to shake the wort up anyway to ensure the yeast get enough oxygen; wouldn't this method pre-oxygenate the wort a bit?

I'm a novice to brewing (I've only brewed twice... well, soon to be three times tonight ) so I'd love to know the advantages of a whirlpool system. I brew with whole hops and malt extract, so my current method with a metal strainer has been working great. But I'd always love to try a better method!

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

I use the "pour through a strainer into the primary" method as well. I just try to leave as much trub in the pot as possible. A little gets in but it's fine. The whirlpool method works, you just need to siphon out of the pot, unless your pot has a valve on it. Splashing isn't cause for contamination, improper sanitation is. Just make sure your strainer is clean and sanitized and you're good to go. And yes the strainer does oxygenate the wort a little.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 07-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I thought oxygenating the wort right before you pitched yeast was an important step? I pour it in then pitch when im below 80°F in the primary.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 07-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
wstein
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the strainer method, have to empty it out every now and a then. I get a build up of hops and trub in it.

Paul

The chicken was involved, but the pig is committed.

Primary
nada
nada
Secondary
nada
nada
Bottled
SPNA Clone, Anchor Our Special Ale (1995), London Cream Ale, American Virgin Raspberry Wheat, Munich Monkey Ale, Bones Brown Ale
Up Next
a Hobgoblin Ale clone or a chocolate stout

Old 07-11-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I use a combination of a bazooka filter in the kettle and a fine strainer outside. I tried whirlpooling, but with the bazooka it actually makes the clogging worse.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did the whirlpool method for the first time last brew. Usually I open the valve and pour through a strainer sitting atop a funnel. I used 4 ozs last brew so I figured the whirlpool would be a good idea.

Wow, my poor strainer had nothing in it by the time I was done.....

Quick Reply