Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Transfering to Carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
HoshBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Is there any advantage to a glass carboy vs. a plastic fermenting bucket as at as the beer/fermentation process goes? If not the bucket sounds like the way to go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
pstrohs
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am a fan of better bottles. If you drop a bb then you don't have the risk of going to the hospital.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

Old 11-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoshBrew View Post
Is there any advantage to a glass carboy vs. a plastic fermenting bucket as at as the beer/fermentation process goes? If not the bucket sounds like the way to go.
No...Anything that can be asked as a -vs- question the answer is always the same, it's a matter of preference ONLY. If you have those options, that means people are using both, and OBVIOUSLY quite happy with their choice, or else that option wouldn't exist....would it? We'd never hear about x, y, or z...or vendors wouldn't be selling x, y, or z, if they weren't viable, would we? There is rarely a better or best in brewing, only, "What works best for me."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
10ACbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well said, Revvy! I've tried them all and finally settled on ball valve > hose> carboy. It all depends on personal preference of the options you have available.

Primary - American Pale Ale, Cream Ale
Secondary -
Bottled - Chimay Red clone, Oatmeal Stout
Kegged - Hefeweizen

Old 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I use a double-screened/double funnel pour...really aerates well and does a great job of filtering. I do agree with the other poster that the screen tends to clog a little, still I do small batches so its never really an issue.

Pitch after...always

Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use a pump. Goes straight through the CFC and into the bucket. Buckets are just too easy to use and clean. I only use carboy fermenters for secondary, cider, and wine. I then aerate with pure O2 and pitch. To me there's no better way, because the best way is using whatever equipment you have. Great thing about this hobby is learning what makes YOU beer. As you do it over and over YOUR process changes, but in the end we all make beer.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Quick Reply