Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Transfering 10 gal batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #1
orangemen5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Transfering 10 gal batches

I'm looking to move to 10 gal batches. I have the equipment. 15 gal brew kettle 1/2 50 ft wort chiller. I'm just wondering how to transfer ten gallons of wort to the fermenter. Siphoning seems like the only option but seems kind of slow. I should bought a kettle w a spigot but thinking of making one w my SS kettle. How does everyone transfer this much wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Install a ball valve into your boil kettle (it's not really a kettle until you have installed a ball valve in it, it's just a pot until then). Once you have the kettle setup, just drain into your fermenter(s) and you're good to go. Transfer time will be significantly faster than with a siphon. I think I used a siphon to transfer one of my partial boil batches (which would be one of my first three beers brewed). After that, I installed a ball valve and make the pot into a kettle.

With stainless steel you'll need either a good step bit, lube, way to keep what you're drilling (and the bit) cool, and a decent (low speed) drill. There are more than a few threads already posted about drilling through stainless steel to install a ball valve. Go read through them to find out how to best do it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
orangemen5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks that's what I was thinking I had to do. I was wondering what the difference between a kettle and a pot was. Good to know.

Quick Reply