Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > torrified wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 03:56 AM   #1
rewster451
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default torrified wheat

I bought some torrified wheat, whole grains. I realized I have no idea how to use it. I was planning on putting it in with the mash. Is that right?

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #2
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, but it will have to be cracked just like the rest of your barley and you will need to mash it with other pale malts that have the diastic power to convert it.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Last edited by ScottT; 12-02-2005 at 07:09 AM.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:05 AM   #3
rewster451

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottT
Yes, but it will have to be cracked just like the rest of your barley and you will need to mash it with other pale malts that have the diastic power to converth it.
I obviously plan on cracking it, but I have no idea what you're saying about diastic power. Can you elaborate on that? I assume that it has to do with the enzymatic properties of the other malts, but since I've never done a true mash, mostly just steeping, I don't know much about this. Your feedback is apprecciated.
Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Old 12-02-2005, 04:18 AM   #4
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are correct, the diastic power is refering to the grains ability to convert other grains in the mash.

Doing a mini mash isn't that much different than doing a steep. Just limit the amount of water you use to 1.5 qts / lb of grain and use an equal amount of pale malt to whatever other grains you are using. The pale malt will convert the other starches too.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 12-02-2005, 04:25 AM   #5
rewster451

Recipes 

Thanks. I guess I need to get some pale malt.

Quick Reply