Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > too soon to bottle?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
Radler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 24
Default too soon to bottle?

So a very anticipated beer has been in Primary (1 week), secondary (2.5 weeks) and I would love to botle no cause I'll be leaving soon for 4 weeks. Problem is I didn't check gravities for numerous reasons. My guess is that it's gotta be okay, it should have been 1.059 OG so it wasn't anything super strong, but... there are still small patches of bubbles on surface of fermentor, small but they are there. Short of gravity check which I prefer not to do, what else can help determine if it's safe to bottle? Thanks.

__________________
Radler is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
bikebryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 556
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radler
So a very anticipated beer has been in Primary (1 week), secondary (2.5 weeks) and I would love to botle no cause I'll be leaving soon for 4 weeks. Problem is I didn't check gravities for numerous reasons. My guess is that it's gotta be okay, it should have been 1.059 OG so it wasn't anything super strong, but... there are still small patches of bubbles on surface of fermentor, small but they are there. Short of gravity check which I prefer not to do, what else can help determine if it's safe to bottle? Thanks.
The only way to truly know if fermentation is complete IS to check the SG. Check it for a few days in a row. If it's stable over those days, then it's done. If it's still dropping, you need to hold off unless you like bottle bombs and messes.
__________________
bikebryan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,598
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
The only way to truly know if fermentation is complete IS to check the SG. Check it for a few days in a row. If it's stable over those days, then it's done. If it's still dropping, you need to hold off unless you like bottle bombs and messes.
Given that the only way to know for certain is to check the SG...and assuming for the moment that for some unknown reason you just can't check the SG, doesn't it seem like three and a half weeks are probably enough?
__________________

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

El Pistolero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2005, 01:17 AM   #4
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rhoobarb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 3,573
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Given that the only way to know for certain is to check the SG...and assuming for the moment that for some unknown reason you just can't check the SG, doesn't it seem like three and a half weeks are probably enough?
Assuming this is an ale, I would say you are okay to bottle. I agree, taking an SG is foolproof. But one week in the primary and 2 to 2-3 weeks in the secondary is typical of just about every ale I've made, except for some high gravity brews. And I'm really lazy when it comes to taking SG's after my beer hits the secondary. But I've never had any granades (knock on wood) in my seven years of brewing. Not that I'm any expert! I'm just sayin'...

If I were in your shoes, I'd have no problem bottling now.
__________________

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 07-22-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Rhoobarb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better Bottle or plastic water cooler bottle? Crash Equipment/Sanitation 14 04-29-2010 01:06 AM
For Sale - Bottle Tree/Sulfiter/Bottle Cleaner--$25 agroff383 For Sale 3 10-19-2009 09:08 PM
Exchanging a Argon bottle for a Nitrogen bottle BrewBeemer Equipment/Sanitation 1 05-30-2009 03:19 PM
Bottle in the Miller Lite 16oz Al bottle/can things beesy General Beer Discussion 5 03-30-2009 08:18 PM
Can you transfer from bottle to bottle w/o losing carbonation? Thor Bottling/Kegging 2 02-20-2006 11:54 AM