Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > too soon to bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
Radler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default too soon to bottle?

So a very anticipated beer has been in Primary (1 week), secondary (2.5 weeks) and I would love to botle no cause I'll be leaving soon for 4 weeks. Problem is I didn't check gravities for numerous reasons. My guess is that it's gotta be okay, it should have been 1.059 OG so it wasn't anything super strong, but... there are still small patches of bubbles on surface of fermentor, small but they are there. Short of gravity check which I prefer not to do, what else can help determine if it's safe to bottle? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radler
So a very anticipated beer has been in Primary (1 week), secondary (2.5 weeks) and I would love to botle no cause I'll be leaving soon for 4 weeks. Problem is I didn't check gravities for numerous reasons. My guess is that it's gotta be okay, it should have been 1.059 OG so it wasn't anything super strong, but... there are still small patches of bubbles on surface of fermentor, small but they are there. Short of gravity check which I prefer not to do, what else can help determine if it's safe to bottle? Thanks.
The only way to truly know if fermentation is complete IS to check the SG. Check it for a few days in a row. If it's stable over those days, then it's done. If it's still dropping, you need to hold off unless you like bottle bombs and messes.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebryan
The only way to truly know if fermentation is complete IS to check the SG. Check it for a few days in a row. If it's stable over those days, then it's done. If it's still dropping, you need to hold off unless you like bottle bombs and messes.
Given that the only way to know for certain is to check the SG...and assuming for the moment that for some unknown reason you just can't check the SG, doesn't it seem like three and a half weeks are probably enough?

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 07-22-2005, 01:17 AM   #4
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Given that the only way to know for certain is to check the SG...and assuming for the moment that for some unknown reason you just can't check the SG, doesn't it seem like three and a half weeks are probably enough?
Assuming this is an ale, I would say you are okay to bottle. I agree, taking an SG is foolproof. But one week in the primary and 2 to 2-3 weeks in the secondary is typical of just about every ale I've made, except for some high gravity brews. And I'm really lazy when it comes to taking SG's after my beer hits the secondary. But I've never had any granades (knock on wood) in my seven years of brewing. Not that I'm any expert! I'm just sayin'...

If I were in your shoes, I'd have no problem bottling now.

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 07-22-2005 at 01:26 AM.

Quick Reply