*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Too Cold for a Lager?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
wailingguitar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 432

I would leave it alone... if the beer is fermenting, it isn't too cold! Lager yeast+cold ferment= clean beer/good lager. This should be an excellent beer.

45ish is my SOP ferm temp for lagers and have actually gone as low as 35 once, stepping down slowly over a week or so, and still had active ferment. The beer was amazing... it took a long time to ferment at that temp, but that was kind of the point.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
Wetpaperbag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have a lager going at the moment at 42°f. Had a great starter and started the fermentation in my house, at 68°f, then dropped it down in a fridge over a few days. Still lots of activity going on. I have the beer in a fridge that I have at its lowest setting atm. I wish the beer was fermenting a bit warmer, but my garage temp fluctuates about 8-10°f throughout the day and night. My brother has a temp control unit he is going to let me borrow tomorrow. I'm going to try and kick the temp up a bit here starting next week. But I'm wondering how things will be if I just left it as is at the 42°f temp.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply