Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tonight I'm Gonna Parti (gyle) Like It's 1699

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Chad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Tonight I'm Gonna Parti (gyle) Like It's 1699

Actually tomorrow morning but I couldn't resist a riff on the song.

Going really old school on my brew day tomorrow and doing a parti-gyle brew. For those not familiar, it's a really old technique where you make a big beer with the first runnings of the mash and smaller beers with each successive run rather than combining all of the wort into one beer. I only have a 5 gallon mash tun so I'm going to do two mashes. The heavy first runnings from each will become about four gallons of Old Ale (1.090 or so) for long aging and the second and third runnings from each will become (I hope) about six gallons of Mild (1.036 if my napkin math is correct). This will be the first time I've attempted a double batch. Should be quite a learning experience . Any advice or past experiences greatly appreciated.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds interesting, keep up posted.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Madtown Brew
Recipes 

I've done a couple partigyle brewdays. Only advice I can give is to set aside the whole day for it, because it takes quite a long time.

One of the nice things about partigyle is that you can alter the second beer a bit by adding in a small amount of specialty grains onto the mash before you add the second lot of sparge water. Good options for this are crystal malts, and chocolate/roasted malts. This way, it's quite easy to make a strong brown ale, add in a 1/4 pound of chocolate, and you got a stout for the second beer.

My next partigyle will probably be for some belgian style beers. Perhaps a triple, followed by an addition of some caravienne to the mash and then a darker, unrefined sugar in the boil to make a dubbel.

Good luck tomorrow!

flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm coonfused why this would take so much longer...I'm assuming that you are planning on boiling both batches at the same time though...

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 12-18-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Chad

Recipes 

Okay from smacking my Wyeast 1099 at 6:00am to scrubbing out the last pot at 6:00pm it was a long freaking brew day, with less downtime than I had anticipated (meaning some proofreading I intended to get done, uh, didn't).

On the very, very good side:

• I had great efficiency -- the big beer was 1.090 going into the kettle
  • I hit my numbers dead on (with a little finagling of the mash temperatures)
  • I test drove some new gear with great success -- my new keggle is amazing
  • I explored a very old brewing technique and made it work

On the not so good side:
  • Adding Diastatic Malt Powder to the mashes was an absolute disaster. The mash was thick and sludgy, and draining the mash tun and sparging the first time took nearly two hours. On the upside, the wort was crystal clear after having been so finely filtered
  • Trying to brew two batches simultaneously, one inside and one outside, was not my most brilliant plan.
  • A full keggle is f'ing heavy, which I discovered after realizing that my garden hose wouldn't reach as far into the garage as I thought. I had to shut everything down, move the keggle full of boiling wort (and the hot stand) and fire everything up again. That wouldn't be so bad if I didn't make the same mistake a couple of hours later when I filled the keg with PBW and hot water before moving it out of my wife's parking space. Oy.

The outcome:
  • 4 gallons of 1.104 Old Ale
  • 7 gallons of 1.040 Mild
Both currently at 64º with the Old Ale already chugging away at the airlock (2L of harvested 1028 London Ale yeast will do that), though the Mild hasn't taken off yet. I was only thinking about the gravity rather than the volume when deciding that I didn't need a starter for my 1099 Whitbread, so it's going to take a little longer to get started. The Old Ale will go three weeks in primary, probably another three in secondary (still haven't decided) and -- if all goes according to plan -- a year in bottles so it will be ready for drinking next Christmas. The Mild is getting two weeks in primary then straight to bottles.

Chad

edit: solecism
www.chadwrites.com

Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Chad

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef
I'm coonfused why this would take so much longer...I'm assuming that you are planning on boiling both batches at the same time though...
The smart way to do multiple batches is to mash the second while the first is boiling. A much more efficient use of time and energy. However, because I have a 5 gallon mash tun and needed to do two mashes before I could even start boiling, it took quite a bit longer than it should. A 10 gallon mash tun would solve a lot of problems, but I am out to prove that you can do a lot with just a 5 gallon if you put your mind to it.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Old 12-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
derogg
Recipes 

Can you post your grain bill? just curious on how many pounds of grain you needed to get 11 gallons. Thanks - Dirk

Bier frisch und gut, schafft frohen Mut.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Chad

Recipes 

20lbs Marris Otter British pale malt
2lbs Crystal 80
1lb Biscuit Malt

The grains were split into two 11.5lb mashes. Strike water was 16qts @ 169º for a mash temp. of 153-154ºF & drained 10qts of first runnings from each mash. Batch sparged to get 16qts of 2nd/3rd runnings. When combined, that put 5 gallons of big beer into the kettle and 8 gallons of the smaller beer.

I should note that the Old Ale also got .75lbs of dark molasses in the boil to add some color/flavor and up the gravity just a little. It would have been a full pound but my wife used some for molasses cookies (yum).

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #9
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Awesome! You did a fine job!

Isn't it fun exploring ancient techniques? I tried it a few years ago, but I did it slightly differently. I mashed a Belgian-style Quadruppel (OG ~1.100 after the addition of invert sugar) and sparged it out. (Since this was at work, I didn't have the freedom to play that much!)

As an aside, mashing the Quad was never fun; having your 12bbl mash tun heaping like a bowl of very thick McGann's Oatmeal in order to get 5bbl of wort in the fermenter is a bitch. But a very lucrative, tasty bitch.

Anyway, as the last runnings from the Quad sparge were run into the kettle, I just closed the valve, kept the sparge running, and started stirring the ever-so-thick mash as it got more soupy. From there, it was "cover it up and let it rest" while I boiled and cast the Quad wort.

Soon as the Quad cast was complete, it was vorlauf and sparge the 2nd runnings into the kettle; yup, right on top of the Quad hops. I ran the hot liquor tank dry, collecting about 5.5bbl of wort in the kettle at ~1.035. This was boiled with not only the spent hops from the Quad but some East Kent Goldings pellets.

Fermented with Ringwood, it was a nice session beer for the pub.

I cannot tell you how happy I am that I'm not the only nutcase who'd try something like this!

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 12-19-2007, 01:56 AM   #10
Chad

Recipes 

Yowza! That sounds amazing. Thanks for the kind words.

I'm enjoying your website, by the way. Nicely done.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Quick Reply