Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips on Wood Aging.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #21
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks for the write-up. I'm going to oak half of my IIPA/Barleywine I made.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #22
Brewin_CRAZY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you sooo much. I want to oak my beers and just didnt know anything about it. This helped me out a LOT!!!

Bottled: DFH 120 Clone (Kicks your A$$)

"Brew happy, brew often, and always brew with friends." -Me
"I dont home brew because I'm poor, I'm poor because I home brew!!!" -Me

"If I ever leave this world alive ill be drinkin up in the sky, with you my friend by my side" RIP B.G.
And always remember friends "Do NOT set yourself on fire"

Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #23
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

No problem. It's pretty easy to oak really. Just keep tasting along the way so you don't over oak it and you'll be fine!

What's tappening? :D

Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #24
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Some questions about how much the oak will fade or mellow with conditioning after it's bottled or kegged and what to expect from different types of oak. I have three beers with oak in process.

The first is a 1.064 OG Robust Porter using a two ounce French Oak spiral. It's been in the secondary with the oak since March 13th. The plan is to wait until winter to keg it. The second is a 1.075 OG IPA using a two ounce American Oak sprial. This one was only aged for one month with the oak and was bottled a couple of weeks ago.

The IPA with the American Oak has a VERY strong vanilla flavor. Will this soften up with time?

I really don't want to mess with the Porter, but am curious how much different the flavor will be with the French Oak over the longer length of time?

The third is an Imperial Black Ale using the French Oak. I'll be kegging that tomorrow, so I'll get some indication from the hydro sample, but it will only have been oaked and dry hopped for two weeks (after a three week primary), so I'm expecting a lot less wood character from it.

Billy-Klubb

Old 08-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #25
eschatz

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Some questions about how much the oak will fade or mellow with conditioning after it's bottled or kegged and what to expect from different types of oak. I have three beers with oak in process.

The first is a 1.064 OG Robust Porter using a two ounce French Oak spiral. It's been in the secondary with the oak since March 13th. The plan is to wait until winter to keg it. The second is a 1.075 OG IPA using a two ounce American Oak sprial. This one was only aged for one month with the oak and was bottled a couple of weeks ago.

The IPA with the American Oak has a VERY strong vanilla flavor. Will this soften up with time?

I really don't want to mess with the Porter, but am curious how much different the flavor will be with the French Oak over the longer length of time?

The third is an Imperial Black Ale using the French Oak. I'll be kegging that tomorrow, so I'll get some indication from the hydro sample, but it will only have been oaked and dry hopped for two weeks (after a three week primary), so I'm expecting a lot less wood character from it.
All aspects of oaking will fade with age. The questions that you have about the strength of oaking all relates to the type of oak (chips, cubes, spirals). I have no experience with spirals. Chips will show themselves within 2 weeks and be very prominent within 3-4 weeks in most beers. It all depends on the beer obviously. This short time is awesome for something like your IPA that you want as fresh as possible. However, the flavor will be a little harsher than cubes and can quickly become over-oaked (tannins).
Cubes will take at least a month or two to show themselves. I'm oaking a barleywine on 2 oz of med french cubes right now. It'll be on for at least a year. Most beers only need a couple of months on cubes. The only way to know when your beer is right is to pull a sample and taste.
Honestly, thats usually the answer with oaking. Chips go fast, cubes are for the long hall, keep tasting till you hit the sweet spot. Everyone has tasted an over-oaked beer. They have no balence and it destroys the beer. Keep tasting.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #26
kappajoe
Recipes 

This is a great place to get toasted oak barrels... great price too... The Vadai World Trade Enterprise Vadai Barrels/Vadia Wine, LLC
I have a few of the smaller Hungary toasted barrels... 2 of them used for wine and one just for beer.

I have a porter aging now....

Old 08-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #27
eschatz

Recipes 

thanks for the info kappa joe. can you tell us something about how you use those barrels? I'll add your link to the OP.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #28
eschatz

Recipes 

NOTE: I'm going to add links in the OP to great recipes that have been oaked successfully. If you know of any please contribute a link. (only tried-and-true recipes please)

Old 09-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #29
Veng
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default my voyage into smoking my house and tormenting SWMBO

Eschatz thanks for the topic!
I got two pieces of oak from a buddy and set off
to make lots of small ones for the oven rack.
Holy- these smoke! Any thoughts on an appropriate toast time?
The chart on Ehow suggested Mid 400 range for more vanilla range.
"easy" chants that demon on my shoulder and an hour into this process,
SHMBO is giving me not so pleasant looks and I have fans and ionizers everywhere. WTH, I had to try it at least once. Maybe twice if the fire dept doesn't visit this time.
FIRE FIRE FIRE!!!

beer might have been involved

Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 AM   #30
eschatz

Recipes 

Veng! Wow, I would have never thought about toasting my own. Although I'm sure that it could be done. I would be interested to know how your toasting works out for you. Some pics would be super sweet. Have you chipped it up before toasting the whole piece or what? This would have a huge effect on the final product I believe.

Quick Reply